• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some IT pro help with SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
Hey all I'm helping my coworker with an windows xp pro sp2 issue.Hes going to be pushing sp2 out soon but hes hit a snag with sp2's firewall.Is there any command line switch that can be given to the sp2 install that will tell it to disable the firewall?Ive been searching all over microsofts site to no avail.Ive tried the /? with the install but the info it gives me is rather basic :/.

If he is pushing it from Server 2k3, there is a Group Policy setting for the firewall for the client machines, you can simply make the firewall off from the server. I don't recall the exact location of the policy.

nikhsub1 said:
If he is pushing it from Server 2k3, there is a Group Policy setting for the firewall for the client machines, you can simply make the firewall off from the server. I don't recall the exact location of the policy.

To my knowledge he'll be pushing it out via our AO on our Novell server.We do run a WIN2000 server but I don't believe we use it to push anything out,just handles our AD.

Commander_Kang said:
Ive tried the /? with the install but the info it gives me is rather basic :/.
If there is an answer, it will be here: http://www.jsiinc.com/Welcome.htm

There are hundreds of little gems there like this one for finding Viruses/Trojans/Adware:
When you write a new key, or Value Name, or change / delete a Value Name, Windows records the data time in the registry key.
To view the Last Write Time for a key and sub-keys, use REGEDIT.EXE to select the key, right-click it, and press Export. Toggle the Save as type box to Test Files (.txt). Navigate to a folder and type the file name into File name. Press the Save button.
When you open the file in NOTEPAD.EXE, each key in the file has a Last Write Time attribute.
Sample:
Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver
Class Name:
Last Write Time: 01/28/2006 - 04:06

Who wudda thunk!

Last edited:
Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Network > Network Connections > Prohibit Use Of Internet Connection Firewall

Back