• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player web player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ascii2

I am using Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 1 and Windows Media Player 7.1 on Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4.

When trying to view Windows Media video embeded on a web page, Windows Media Player 6.4's web player may play the video. I want Windows Media Player 7.1's web player to play the videos.

How do I accomplish what I want?

Screenshot of Windows Media Video embeded into a page and its "About" dialog box:

wmp64.gif

Last edited:
Change the file association in Windows Explorer... open Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | "File Types" tab | "Registered file types" --> scroll down to WMV and highlight it | Click the "Change" button | In the "Open With" dialog that opens, select the "Browse" button | Browse to the WMP 7.1 directory which contains the player, and select the executable.
NsOmNiA91130 said:
I thought 2k supported WMP10
W2K only supports up to version 9 of the player.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
I thought 2k supported WMP10?
It probably can be made to run on Windows 2000 by modifing its intaller, some files, and many registry keys and values.

Officially, only Windows XP is supported by Windows Media Player 10.

redduc900 said:
Change the file association in Windows Explorer... open Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | "File Types" tab | "Registered file types" --> scroll down to WMV and highlight it | Click the "Change" button | In the "Open With" dialog that opens, select the "Browse" button | Browse to the WMP 7.1 directory which contains the player, and select the executable.
I tried this. No change.

redduc900 said:
W2K only supports up to version 9 of the player.
"p to" may not be the correct choice of words. Windows Media Player 8 was not supported by Windows 2000 Professional.

I added a screenschot to the initial post with the following description text:

"Screenshot of Windows Media Video embeded into a page and its "About" dialog box:".

Ascii2 said:
"p to" may not be the correct choice of words. Windows Media Player 8 was not supported by Windows 2000 Professional.

Are you correcting my grammar, or are you just pointing out that you feel as though I should have specified that WMP8 was not supported by W2K? Maybe you can enlighten me on the proper wording, and possibly even the correct definition of "up to"... as I apparently used it improperly in the sentence.

redduc900 said:
Are you correcting my grammar, or are you just pointing out that you feel as though I should have specified that WMP8 was not supported by W2K?
I thought a bit more clarification was necessary for those uncertain of what versions of Windows Media Player are supported on Windows 2000.

redduc900 said:
Maybe you can enlighten me on the proper wording,
Something like, "W2K supports versions up to 7.1 of the player and version 9."

redduc900 said:
the correct definition of "up to"

Merriam-Webster Online's definition of "up to":
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/up to

Back