• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New water pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

I just had my water pump crack a leak as one day I was using my computer and it just shut off on me. I looked inside my case and there was a big puddle of water and my water pipes were empty. Fortunately, none of my compentents got wet. I was wondering what you'd recommend as a good waterpump that'd last and that's reasonably priced for a good quality pump. Are there any water pumps that'll connect to the computer's power supply via 12V molex? I'm using 1/2 inch pipes, and any feedback you can give I'll appreciate. Thanks :)

I'm gunna go w/ the flow and suggest the swiftech mcp655. I'm using one and it's worth every penny!

soloz2, on setting 5 it's pretty damn quiet correct?

I would go with an MCP350 if i didn't have a lot of room or if I was water cooling a mid size case.

Ive had both the D4 and D5. The D4 was really annoying with this continuous hissing sound. The D5 still has a hissing sound but not as noticeable. You can also adjust the voltage on D5 with a turn of a switch, so adjusting it to your quiet factor is easier.

there is a revision 2 of the d4 pump out now - same specs as the d5 pump, including the reduced noise, but it doesnt have adustable flow...not that you really wanna run a d5 at less than max anyways.... so a new revision d4 will be cheaper and just as good/quiet ;)

hung said:
soloz2, on setting 5 it's pretty damn quiet correct?

I would go with an MCP350 if i didn't have a lot of room or if I was water cooling a mid size case.

yeah, even on the highest setting I can't hear my pump over my case fans and I have all quiet case fans. However, on 5 the pump sucks too much and it actually is able to pull air bubbles out the top of my res, so I'm switching to a T line here shortly

Cool, I have a D5 on it's way via fedex. Thanks for all the input and advice. :)

I know it's hard to find and a bit pricey, but I have to recommend the MCP600. I know a lot of people groan about the 185 GPH flowrate, but it has a 10.5ft max head, which is what really matters and it runs off of a 12v molex. Great pump, and very very quiet. Just a steady hum which you probably won't be able to hear with the case closed. No buzzing or hissing (after your loop is bled). The adhesive on the attached neoprene pad is a bit troublesome for re-use, but you can use your own adhesive and the pad will still absorb all of the vibrations. I suggest using thin strips of double-sided foam tape.

Anyways, that's my recommendation! :)

I've got a MCP655 and this thing rocks. I only hear my hard-drives in my case (all 8 of em), I don't hear the pump or 120mm Yate Loons.

The computer is on the floor right beside me... not really sure about how people can say its loud :?

phaeton said:
I've got a MCP655 and this thing rocks. I only hear my hard-drives in my case (all 8 of em), I don't hear the pump or 120mm Yate Loons.

The computer is on the floor right beside me... not really sure about how people can say its loud :?
You probably are hearing it without know it, (few times much louder) mcp 655 makes exact same noise sound as hard drive when it is just spinning not accessing any data.

Back