• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable "find as you type" feature in firefox?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
Does anyone know how to disable the stupid find as you type feature in firefox? This thing is seriously driving me nuts! Whenever I put a ' or a / in a normal text box it works fine, but sometimes it makes that stupid little search thing pop up at the bottom and I am unable to enter the character.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips

Find As You Type has a few hidden preferences that can be changed to better fit your needs. Add the following prefs to your user.js file:

Code:
// Find As You Type Configuration:
// Set this pref to [B]false[/B] to disable Find As You Type:
user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind", true);
// If you set this pref to [B]true[/B], typing can automatically start Find As You Type. // If [B]false[/B] (default), you must hit / (find text) or ' (find links) before your search.
user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.autostart", true);
// Set this pref to [B]false[/B] if you want Find As You Type to search normal text too:
user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.linksonly", true);
// Set this pref to [B]true[/B] if you require that the link starts with the entered text:
user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.startlinksonly", false);
// This is the time in milliseconds for the Find As You Type to stop watching for keystrokes:
user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout", 3000);
It's also possible to edit the preferences normally stored in user.js by entering about:config in the address bar and press Enter. You will see a list of all available preferences in Firefox (many of them are derived from Mozilla and are not used but not yet removed). Double-click on a preference to change its value. The changes you make here will be immediately stored in prefs.js, which is a file automatically generated by Firefox.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Now when you get to the about config part. Filter it to typeaheadfind. It should have the one you want right on top. Set it to False. then restart the broswer to get it functional. there is a few other features that can be tweaked there also.

Last edited:
Tool > Options... under accessibility. I'm sitting here in the lab and they don't let us use anything but IE or I'd tell ya right where it was at.

Back