• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antifreeze/water mix ratio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignaz

What should i mix my antifreeze/water mix ratio as?

i just flushed my system and the earlyer set up had better temps so i dont think i mixed this batch as good "about a 2c diff."

i use the distlled water and orange antifreeze mixed 3:1

also would a better mix ratio give me better temps?

You don't want much AF in there, it hurts performance. It depends on what you want, 10-25% should be plenty, I wouldnt do anything more than 3:1, Personally, I would do 5:1

The primary purpose of antifreeze in a PC loop is to inhibit galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals.
If you don't have any aluminum bits mixed in with the copper blocks then antifreeze is redundant and actually hurts performance.
Pure distilled H2O is the ideal heat transfer medium for the typical waterloop...anything added should be for a specific purpose-i.e., anti algaecide, etc.

From what I've read, and our own research, for a non mixed metal loop you can use 10% or even less anti freeze and a few drop of non alcoholic iodine solution and the rest pure distilled water.

If you have mixed metals, like a copper block and an alu rad or res, then you need to use about 15% to 20% anti freeze, and a few drops of non alcoholic iodine solution.

A few drops being 5-6, which seems to be what most people are using.

Windshield Wiper Fluid is a good alternitive to Algecide if you can't get ahold of any. I use 90/10 Distilled/AF with some Windshield Wiper Fluid. Notta thing is growing in mine.

i dont know if im mixed. i got metal fittings that are crome plated the rad has alu. fins but copper pipes and the block is copper.

so i should flush and redo my system with a 5:1 ratio?

if your whole system is copper/brass go with 5% and a couple drops of iodine.

there is no need for more unless you have dis-similar metals in your loop

ziggo0 said:
Windshield Wiper Fluid is a good alternitive to Algecide
Should be said with a warning. Most windshield viper fluid contains alcohol, which can and will eat tubing, plastics and generally wreak havoc on your W/C parts.
That's why we stress non-alcohol iodine solution.

R B Customs said:
distilled or de-ionised?
Distilled. De-Ionized water still contains stuff that could grow. Make sure the label says Distilled. Car shops sell it for topping up car batteries, you can get it in most hardware stores as well. som shops sell it to use when ironing clothes. Just make sure it is distilled.

bignaz said:
i got metal fittings that are crome plated
Not sure how chrome reacts with other metals. Thorlian? Anyone?

ziggo0 said:
Windshield Wiper Fluid is a good alternitive to Algecide if you can't get ahold of any. I use 90/10 Distilled/AF with some Windshield Wiper Fluid. Notta thing is growing in mine.

i use winter washer fluid 100% works great and looks cool in blue :beer:

Back