• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2k3 server scripting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

So I have a dedicated server running win2k3 server, and I am looking to automate a few backup tasks, as well as checking services and whatnot. As far as scriptign goes, I love doing it in linux, but I only know windwos batch file scripting, and not much else.

Firstly, I am looking for a good beginners guide to windows scripting host, if anyone knows of one. I checked around but for the most part I use my Windows XP ref guide as a reference. I will continue looking but if anyone has done this before it would help to get their perspective

Second, how do I use them as a service/task? Or can I use a batch file as a service?

Thanks guys, I love OCforums and the people here are awesome. I trust your advise!

WSH and CSH uses VBA, so what you are looking for is a good Visual Basic for Applications book or tutorial.

You probably can use a WSH or CSH script as a service, but I know of no way to do this. I imagine it involves lots of registry hacks.

It's been a long time since I've been digging around in this topic, but here are a few bookmarks:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/guide/sas_wsh_qlcc.mspx?mfr=true
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting11132000.asp

What scripting languages from Linux do you know? At least perl and python both are available for WSH as well from activestate.com. Heck, you could use bash from cygwin if you wanted :)
As for services: cygwin again, has a tool which lets you run any executable as a service: cygrunsrv.exe. There are others, from other softwaremakers too.

klingens said:
What scripting languages from Linux do you know? At least perl and python both are available for WSH as well from activestate.com. Heck, you could use bash from cygwin if you wanted :)
As for services: cygwin again, has a tool which lets you run any executable as a service: cygrunsrv.exe. There are others, from other softwaremakers too.

I thought about using cygwin butI don't know. Its bash that i am REALYL familiar with and a bit of perl.

Back