• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i get rid of this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
I cant think of a more useless window

xqb5ti.png.jpg

is there a way to turn it off forever?

What would you rather happen? The file just not open? I think it gives you two good options, lookup what type of file it is or choose a program to open it with.

There is a utility somewhere (google) that will set anything you want (notepad?) to open files that windows doesn't recognize.

Making that go away probably involves a call to Bill G.. He put it there so that when you DO come upon a file that you DO want to open, you will be able to do so.

If you don't have the program installed to handle the extension of the file you are opening, that would often be useless. Maybe you should try Linux ;)

Actually i prefer to use an os that has apps that are supported

I'm sure there is an ini or registry key somewhere that determines which button is the default. I'd prefer to look locally first too just by hitting the return key and not having to select it with my mouse.

In the "Open With" dialog, just highlight the program (or "Browse" to it) you want to open, and then put a check in the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" checkbox.

That would work fine, but it would still bring up the dialog box for any new unkown file types.

ErikD said:
That would work fine, but it would still bring up the dialog box for any new unkown file types.
The point you're missing is that you do not want to disable this feature. Someday you will need it.

no

i want to disable it

I want it to go straight to the I pick dialog

rather than the web feature which is completely useless

Crash893 said:
no

i want to disable it

Well, we can't do that, because that would make sense. :(

I agree, the web service is useless, and the thing should go directly to the pick-a-program box. But I don't know of a way to do that.
Actually i prefer to use an os that has apps that are supported
What are you trying to say? :cool:

Crash893 said:
no

i want to disable it

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | policies | system

Highlight the system sub-key, and check in the RH pane for the NoInternetOpenWith DWORD | If the Value name is present, right click it and select "Modify" | In the Edit DWORD Value dialog that opens, change the Value data to 1. If the Value name isn't present, right click in the RH pane and select New --> DWORD | Give it the name NoInternetOpenWith, and modify it with the Value data of 1.

Last edited:
redduc900 you made it look so easy and in fact it was very easy.

I created the DWORD=1 and it works like a charm.

Thanx

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | policies | system

That path doesn't exit for me (Xp Pro sp2)... :shrug:

edit: the path derails after Windows.

LxOxSxI said:

Open the Registry Editor and expand the Windows sub-key... take a pic (Alt+PrtScn) of the Editor with the key expanded, save it as a .jpg and post it in this thread.

LxOxSxI said:

Also you most likely will have to create the DWORD. It didn't exist for me either until I created it.

I don't see how your windows system could function with out that path.

Back