• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My pump fried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

So I got my maze4 for my video card, finally. I took the zalman ZM1 that I had on my gpu before, and with a little modding got it on my chipset. But I had noticed that my pump was leaking through the screw holes that hold the cap on. So, being in the mood to do a little work, I took it apart. I found that the posts the screws screw in to were cracked and literally fell off in my hand. So, I tried super glue....no luck. By that time I said screw it. I took out the dremel and cut all the posts off. Put the pump on the drill press and drilled some new holes. But what I didn't notice is that I accidentally went a little too deep with one of the holes and cut in to the coil for the mag drive. I tested it for a minute and was amazed it worked. So I decided to leak test it while I ate some lunch. I came back to see the case had warped from the extreme heat. I'm not sure what caused the extreme heat, maybe the screw in the coil created a short....but anyway, it was certainly dead.

So here I am computerless. I am desperately searching for a pump, which I think I may have found. But I just wanted to share my misfortune. Here are some pictures:

my current replacement computer...soon to be 24/7 folding pc

and my baby, waiting for a pump

Super glue and water doesn't mix well. Stick to epoxies. They don't dissolve in water (usually).

What pump are you looking at getting?

Danner Magdrives are made of ABS plastic. Look in your yellow pages for a plastic supply shop. IPS Weld-on #3, #4 (both water thin) and #16 (thick) will all bond ABS to ABS and ABS to acrylic. These are not glues, but produce chemical welds that are far superior to cements. Acrylic aquariums up to and beyond 500 gallons are typically made with #3. Epoxy would not be the best way to go with such a repair.

Too late in this case, but for future reference.

Well, mine wouldn't have died if I didn't mess with it...oh well. But yeah, unless you have a backup computer that isn't watercooled, make sure to have a backup pump just in case or else you will be screwed for a while.

Back