• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP License / Activation Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ErikD

Lets say that I have a laptop with a valid XP key on it. I also have a valid XP CD, which I have already installed on a different computer, but the type isn't the same as the laptop key is for. So basically laptop key is for XP and CD is for XP SP2. Do you think I would be able to install from the CD, using the key on that, and then later change to the laptop key for activation?

I mean as far as MS is concerned I am using one license for one machine in each case. Do they match key type to install media for activation as well as installation?

I am asking because I am thinking of getting a used laptop with a valid XP key on it. I only have XP SP2 CDs, and the key would most likely by for no service packs. I was thinking that I could just install from the CD, and later change the key to the one that is on the laptop. Hope it would let me do that. If not I do have unused XP licenses to use for it, but you know would rather use the one that is on the laptop since it is there.

Well I bought the laptop, so I guess I will just try it out and see what happens when it gets here. Hopefully I can use they key on the laptop, if not I think I might have to call MS up if I use my key. Although it is supposed to be good for 5 installs, and I used 3, last time I tried to install it didn't let me activate. I got it legally throught the MS Partner Program so hopefully if I have any issue just a call to MS will clear things up for me and allow an install and activation.

I am really growing to dislike this acvtivation less and less everytime I need to do an install or hardware change. I really would like it if you could enter your key and see how many it is valid for, and how many are left. And even if you could deactivate it for a computer that is no longer being used and move it over to another computer.

I can say this about MS though, they have it down better than Bloomberg software. Transfering one of those licenses takes like an hour, at least MS is only 10-15 minutes.

Actually, I've had the serial number rejected when I tried to do a reinstall on an older machine (XP-Pro pre-SP1) using the XP Pro SP-2 Disk. Ended up having to hunt down the original pre-SP1 disk to use the serial number attached to the machine.

Activation should be no problem, as the serial number is keyed to the hardware configuration of your machine. You will however, likely need a disk made in the same decade as your computer. (Hyperbole, folks...)

Last edited:
I just did two new installs of XP Pro on two different machines. One was a brand new upgrade, licensed copy and the other was a copy I got from a friend at microsoft. I tried using the CD key for the licensed copy with the CD from the other copy and it wouldn't take the key! I have yet to call up Microsoft and complain. So I think that it may make a difference, atleast it did for me. I think (hope) microsoft might just issue me another code though.

Yeah I know about matching the CD Key to the actual CD type. Everything is Pro, so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as what they actual keys are for without having actually seen the COA yet I would bet it is for OEM SP1. I have an OEM SP2 CD with key and a retail cd with keys and no SP on the CD.

The laptop should get to me on Monday according to UPS, so I will try to use the key on the COA at install time as the easiest option. If that doesn't work I will just use the key on the CD to install and then change it to the one on the COA to activate. I will post back with the results, I am guessing it should work fine too. I was just curious to know if it had been tried already.

OEM liscens are not supposed to be transfered from one computer to another, just FYI. Retail, you can legally uninstall it on re-install on a differnet machine, I believe.

Gnufsh said:
OEM liscens are not supposed to be transfered from one computer to another, just FYI. Retail, you can legally uninstall it on re-install on a differnet machine, I believe.

Shouldn't be a problem as I am not trying to transfer a license or anything, just use the same laptop license with a fresh install on the same license from different install media.

If you can get the correct CD, I believe you're fine. IIRC, Microsoft allows one key for both a laptop & desktop if both are used by the same person. However, I'm not sure if this holds true for OEM licenses. The laptop is supposed to be a "mobile extension" of the desktop.

Cyrix_2k said:
If you can get the correct CD, I believe you're fine. IIRC, Microsoft allows one key for both a laptop & desktop if both are used by the same person. However, I'm not sure if this holds true for OEM licenses. The laptop is supposed to be a "mobile extension" of the desktop.

I think Microsoft only allows one key for one installation, because of all the problems they had with people installing one copy of 95, 98, ME, and 2000 on several different computers which they wanted to put a stop to because of the amount of money they were losing over borrowed cd's and keys. I happen to use a slipstreamed OEM SP2 disc for all of my installs, although the key I was given with the disc was for an SP1 disc. You just have to make sure that the disc you have is an OEM install disc, as the key did come with the laptop. Also make sure that the key matches the disc as far as home or pro. As long as you install Home Edition to a computer with a key for Home Edition, and likewise for Pro, you should be fine.

Back