• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Program to create Spiderman's web effect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxoverclocker

hehe next year my group is going to be in the digital media class @ our school. we've already got the hardware (better than what the school has) for the job:

Sony HDV 3CCD cam
crane
tripod
senheiser mic and blimp
and all the other goodies

now here's where im stuck, im supposed to be in charge of software and the film we're making is going to be spiderman (a remake) lol if all goes well. question: what program would be best to create the web effect throughout the movie?
right now we have access to:

Final Cut Pro
Adobe After effects 7
Flash 8
Motion 2

thats all i can think of right now- can this be accomplished with this software (while looking alright?) or will we need to find something else (if it exsists?)

thanks for your time

I assume you are looking to achive the affect of spiderman shooting webs from his wrist. Typically a progam like maya would be used to create spidermans webs. I think this is actually what they used in the movie but the software is expensive. $370 for the student version. other software such as light wave may do the trick also but that is still around $200 for students. These types of 3d modeling are not only expensive but difficult to use without any formal training. The only thing I can think of would be to create using photoshop and animate using some simple keyframe animation in after effects. But I dont think that will achieve the look your going for.

You are probably better off with trying to fabricate a piece of web out of sting or better yet grey fishing line weaved together (just a couple feet). run the webbing uner your sleeve and up your arm. Shoot a medium close up of spidermans arm and have someone off camera pull the webing out using a single threag of fishing. This can then be sped up in post to make it look faster. Then cut to a wide shot with the web already out. I know its kinda low tech but might work.

Back