• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Home Edition Over OEM PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Would my mate be allowed to install a new purchased copy of Home Edition over his pre-installed OEM version that came with his PC. He only purchased it last month and dosn't like the pre-installed crap that's come with it.

It also has a 200GB HDD but 5GB is set aside for HP Recovery if he formats the HDD will it cause problems. I mean can he run a new copy of Home edition and not have to worry that about HP Revoery causing problems.

Yes, they can install whatever OS they want, as long as they have a separate license key for it.

The 5GB partition is important only if you call HP tech support since it basically contains the software that they will try to use to get your PC up and running. We normally just completely wipe the drives at work so I haven't seen what they have done lately but I do remember them and Compaq using that to store the software that came preinstalled on the system, drivers included, and the OS.

Yeah I used to own a Compaq 5410 5 years ago it came with a CD version called Quick Restore. Do you think it's worth doing my mate seems up for doing it since he know's it'll get rid of the rubbish stuff. Also I've found the folder where his drivers are kept I've backed them up to a USB drive. Just incase the new Home Edition dosn't find some hardware he'll be getting the new 1 next Friday but only if it's worth doing.

Honestly for a friend I would recommend you leave the Recovery Sector on the drive for a fall back. However on my own PC I would do a complete wipe of the drive. I would keep the Recovery CD however because the drivers stored on the cd are a lot of the time able to be accessed separately which could help later on. Anyway should be nice for him to load Windows and not see 50 programs he will never use.

Now there's the problem they didn't even provide a CD cause the Recovery program is on the 5GB partition & would just bring back the Home Edition he bought the PC with. Where as if he just installed a fresh copy of a newer OEM and he ever got any problems he could just format and start over again. Them stupid recovery programs what you get from HP/Comaq or whoever are a waste of time.

I just want to know if he should do it? it's not my PC he didn't buy insurance when he purchased it cause that's a scam. He only has the year's warranty on it and surely putting a newer OEM will be better like you said 50 programs he'll never use.

well, assuming there's no major problems, there's nothing really stopping him from loading on the version purchased. Worst comes to worst, if there is a major problem, just attempt to reload the HP OEM Windows before calling them.

Back