• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tried to update BIOS, now receiving BOOT DISK ERROR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

President!

Registered
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but it was kind of a cross-platform issue.

So I wanted to mess around with some MILD OC'ing of a new PC i just got recently, but I always hear that the first thing you should do is to update your BIOS.
I discovered a utility released by ASUS (my mobo manu.) that allows you to update the bios in windows, so i snagged it. I manually downloaded the update to my asus a8n5x board from the manu's website, then pointed the updater at the bios file.

I chose to flash the board, then reboot so changes could take effect.
Now when the computer is turned on, the bios shows up for a moment, only to show the message "BOOT DISK ERROR". The problem is, I don't have a floppy drive!
I tried to boot from the mobo's included CD w/ default driver, but it continues to give me the boot disk error, how can I get the mobo to boot from my c: ?
What should I do? I hope I'm not stuck having to re-format.

Captain Newbie said:
Welcome to the forums :welcome:

Is this the blue-screen-of-death "Can't read the boot device" screen, or the actual BIOS thing?

...hopefully BEFORE flashing your BIOS?
no not before i flashed it :-(
I can get to windows (had to reinstall ugh) but when i set my boot priority so the HD is priority #1, i still i get disk boot error, ARG.

How can i set my Mobo back to how it was before this so it starts up normal?

First clear your CMOS with the jumper on your mobo. If the error persists, tell us EXACTLY the error, every single letter. And tell us EXACTLY which setting you changed to get the error and what other options this setting has and which of those options is currently selected when it can boot into Windows. Lastly, tell us how your drives are connected (which controller, master or slave, etc) and on which disk/partition Windows is

OK, I got the problem fixed.
I called Asus's tech support this morning, and the first thing he had me check was in the BIOS, under hard drive priority, and lo and behold, EXACTLY as he thought, the update flash had reversed the priority of my HDD's so it was trying to boot from my storage drive :(
Sorry for the newb issue, I'm not so hot with BIOS updates, apparently.
Thanks for the help!

well you just need to know your bios optimized default settings and then it will all become clear, after all no bios is run stock out of the box and when you flashed your bios it not only changed the bios but defaulted all the settings, which is normal.

Back