• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900 GTX Water Blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nemesis9x

Registered
I was wondering what would be the best waterblock to cool a 7900 GTX.

Also would it still be effective if I cooled my cpu and gpu together? Would the temps be too bad and the water pressure would drop too much if I cooled both? I mean at least still beat temps from the stock coolers? I have a AMD 64 4400+ X2 and my water cooling rig is

Swiftech MCP655
CoolRad radiator
3/8in tubing.

Either Maze 4 or Swiftech MCW60 with some copper RAM sinks, unless you can afford that DD block that cools the RAM (it won't help much, but I think it's kinda cool just to be able to say you're watercooling your RAM :p)

Why 3/8" tubing? And also you need a 240 or 360 mm radiator to cool both of those, if the ram is gettting too hot with sinks try the DangerDen NV-78.

Ok, let's straight out a few misconceptions here shall we.
"Why 3/8 tubing?"
Nothing wrong with 3/8, if tubing inner diameter was that important we'd all be running hard soldered 2 inch copper pipes. Anything 3/8 and over will perform fairly similar for any low-medium end system.

"you need a 240 or 360 mm rad." And "If it is only a single 120mm rad, that would be pushing it."
OP never states anything about overvolting or overclocking, his goal is just to beat stock air temps, a single 120 rad will do that fine for just a CPU and a GPU. Heck a single 80mm might even be enough. But with the single 120 you can get away with a silent low RPM fan and still beat stock air temps, at virtually no noise.

A single 120 rad can only handle ~240w of heat per hour. A single 120mm rad would be pushing it at stock speeds. If you actually believe that an 80mm rad would do it, I want what you are smoking. :)

"A single 120 rad can only handle ~240w of heat per hour."
Not sure where you got those numbers, but that's a pretty bad rad then. A single 120mm heater core can easily handle an X2 and a 7900 at stock volt and speed. Seriously. As I said, an 80 might with a good fan, but it'd be noisy.

You're correct. A single can do 600w per hour. The 80mm can only do 200.

The BIX can do 677 watts per hour. The BIX2: 1355. The BIX3:2097. That is if my trusty calculator is right.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I could afford the NV-78, so would that be the best option? I have a CoolingWorks™ CoolRad™-12T 120mm Radiator rated 790KCal/hr or 3134BTU/hr. I have two 120mm aluminum fans connected to the rad and I also have a NorthWater Xtreme Water Xchanger Large in the system and I could add another if necessary.

Just yes or no someone, would it be worth it to have my AMD 64 X2 4400 and my 7900GTX cooled beating stock temps?

Daddyjaxx said:
You're correct. A single can do 600w per hour. The 80mm can only do 200. The BIX can do 677 watts per hour. The BIX2: 1355. The BIX3:2097. That is if my trusty calculator is right.
Well, I'm not sure where you find these numbers, but they are complete nonsense, I'm sorry to say.
You can't just say "a rad can handle this much", it depends on more than the rad, it depends on the ammount of water flow, it depends on the CFM and static pressure of the fan, the number of fans, and it depends on ambient temps to an extent.
There are too many variables to just name random values like that, you need to look at the whole context of how the data was gathered.

To the OP:
I recommend sticking with the rad you have, build the system and see what temps you get. I would be very surprised if you wouldn't beat stock air temps easily. As for the video card, I agree with the people who said get a Maze-4 and some ramsinks. It has been proven beyond any doubt that watercooling the ram on a modern video card is not necessary and will not yield any performance improvement. Use only a full cover waterblock if you have absolutely no airflow over your graphics card. As long as you can get some airflow over it, the ramsinks will be enough.

when i was water cooled, I ran the maze 4 and ocz ramsinks and it worked good except the ram still got hot. If you go that route, make sure you have some fans blowing onto the chips. I also bought the NV78 and was not impressed with the fit (it only covered 2/3 of the ram, and as little as 1/2 on two of the chips), I ended up selling it the next day.

Ok thanks, I am thinking about getting the maze 4 and some RAM sinks. On the dangerden website it doesnt say its compatible with the 7900 GTX? is it?

well i mounted it with the surrounding screws first to get contact on the ram then put in the back plate and rods, it took me two tries

Arca_ex said:
well i mounted it with the surrounding screws first to get contact on the ram then put in the back plate and rods, it took me two tries

it wasn't the mounting that was problimatic it was the high points for the ram weren't big enough/centered over the moduals.

nemesis9x said:
Ok thanks, I am thinking about getting the maze 4 and some RAM sinks. On the dangerden website it doesnt say its compatible with the 7900 GTX? is it?

I have a maze 4 low profile and going to get 2 7900 gt on a asus a8n32. My question is does anyone know if a second low profile maze 4 will fit on those 2 cards in sli??

Thanks.

Back