• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storm G4 or Apogee??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdm

Registered
I'm in the market for a new cpu block and although i've seen a few posts raving about the Apogee, i've not seen any mention of the new Swiftech Storm G4, is it the the Apogee is the best?

And while we're asking whats a good vga block these days?

I'm wanting to go 1/2" id all round.

Any comments on it anyone??

rdm

theres ALOT of mention of the storm. Its better than the apogee, for most costing twice as much isn't really justified though.

http://www.ocforums.com/search.php?searchid=1475478 theres about 500 posts that mention the storm in the watercooling forums. It isn't a new block so people don't really rave about it as much as they used to.. go back a few pages and you'll see lots of decent discussions about it.

What card would you be cooling, because if it's that AGP one in your sig I wouldn't bother, maybe buy a Zalman HSF for it but thats all the more trouble i would go through with it.

People at Xtremesystems dont agree with the Apogee being a good block. They even go as far as suggesting to buy anything BUT the Apogee. Can anyone object/concur with them?

BWR said:
People at Xtremesystems dont agree with the Apogee being a good block. They even go as far as suggesting to buy anything BUT the Apogee. Can anyone object/concur with them?

Clocks in sig using apogee. I think its just fine.. especially if you get a deal on it.

swiftech's Apogee and MCW60 make a good value combo with low restriction and good performance. is the Apogee the best, who knows but its close enough for me.

fyi on the storm they made an updated top plate top get better flow rates.

the storm is better than the apogee, but in real life application, the difference is only a few degrees. To me, the difference in performance is not worth the difference in cost.

I'm running an apogee block and with my opty 148 at 3.0Ghz 1.6v my load temps never topped 40.

currently with my 165 at 2.4 and 1.35v (just got it) my cpu is loading at 31

My Apogee keeps my Opty 144 @ 334x9 1.55vcore @ 26C Idle & 34C Load...I think thats pretty damn good.

I am another satisfied Apogee user. I got one of the early blocks and made sure to clean out the shaving. I have had zero problems with this block and it has allowed me to OC my pressHOT to 4ghz and beyond with reasonable temps. If you have the money buy the "best" if not the apogee is a decent block for a good price.

More props for apogee here...It's cost / cooling ability is excelent. It really is pretty close in regards to performance with the storm, especially with newer cpus with IHS. If you run a lidless cpu, however, thats when the storm will shine

I have a Storm Rev 2 and love it. It can idle as low as 36C and using Prime 95 I never saw it go beyond 45C. I even post about it here

Ambient temps were around 30C, I don't recall exactly but it was pretty hot in that room that day.

From what I've read if you plan on using your Block on a naked CPU go Storm and if you get a CPU with IHS go Apogee. The apogee has a more spreadout optimum cooling area then the G4's. Meaning that on a IHS you will get a better cooling/cost ratio, the extra cost for that 1-2c is not worth it BUT if you are nut enough to remove the IHS from your CPU it's because you want the best performence and then the G4 takes a bigger lead and if you are going to take that way might as well go all the way.

Thanks for all the help guys, looks like the Apogee gets it.

Cheers,

rdm

The first 50 or so units of the Apogee had durability problems with the barbs and some issues with shavings left over from the machining process. Those were fixed fairly quickly and it's a much better waterblock per dollar. The difference between the two in performance is very very small.

Back