• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP...new ddc tough to bleed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Jizzler

heres the deal. ive been screwing with this new mcp350 ddc 18w version for a wek now trying to get it quiet. as far as i can tell it sounds as if there is still air trapped in the pump. ive done everything. different tuubing sizes, differnt arrangements, taken the pump apart to check for defects, etc. right now i have it with 3\8 tubing. no visible air in the lines, and its making that "air stuck inside me" rattle. ive checked and rechecked all conections for air leeks, ive also smeared liquid soap in the pumps seams looking for a leak, no go. as far as i know the system is TOTALLY sealed, only place air can get in at this point is the t-line. so whats the deal? are these pumps known to be hard to bleed? ive been watercooling for several years now and have never seen something like this.

so is it air or a noisy dud? any suggestions?

The_Jizzler said:
heres the deal. ive been screwing with this new mcp350 ddc 18w version for a wek now trying to get it quiet. as far as i can tell it sounds as if there is still air trapped in the pump. ive done everything. different tuubing sizes, differnt arrangements, taken the pump apart to check for defects, etc. right now i have it with 3\8 tubing. no visible air in the lines, and its making that "air stuck inside me" rattle. ive checked and rechecked all conections for air leeks, ive also smeared liquid soap in the pumps seams looking for a leak, no go. as far as i know the system is TOTALLY sealed, only place air can get in at this point is the t-line. so whats the deal? are these pumps known to be hard to bleed? ive been watercooling for several years now and have never seen something like this.

so is it air or a noisy dud? any suggestions?

Could very well be a dud.
I've read about fans making mechanical noise when underpowered, and a motor being a motor, maybe underpower is somehow a factor? (Heck. You've tried everything else.)

...ive also smeared liquid soap in the pumps seams looking for a leak, no go...
Have you ever found a leak in this manner? It is a good way to spot an air or a gas leak, but water?

im somewhat inclined to believe its not a dud based on hope and the fact that a few times i have heard it get quiet for just a moment, but yea whatever. it shouldnt be this hard. maybe i should just rma it and see what happens.

Dice said:
Could very well be a dud.

Have you ever found a leak in this manner? It is a good way to spot an air or a gas leak, but water?

yea, this is an old trick my dad (hes a long time mechanic) taught me. really any kind of thick liquid or grease, ie vasoline, will do the trick. what i was doing was using dish soap in the seams bothe listenening for pause in the noise, and\or seing the water in my lines getting sudsy all of a sudden. works well for spoting air leeks, although can be tedious.

...and the fact that a few times i have heard it get quiet for just a moment...

Oh, I didn't know that it sometimes seems to work for a moment. That prolly rules out power deficeit. Logic would dictate it isn't an air pocket bragging about itself. I say this because it being a closed loop W/out any obvious leaks, if the bubble escaped it probably wouldn't be almost immeadiately reintrained back into the impellor. Perhaps it is an out-of-round bearing? At any rate, bummer that this is happening to you and I hope RMA nets a quieter one.

yea, this is an old trick my dad (hes a long time mechanic) taught me. really any kind of thick liquid or grease, ie vasoline, will do the trick. what i was doing was using dish soap in the seams bothe listenening for pause in the noise, and\or seing the water in my lines getting sudsy all of a sudden. works well for spoting air leeks, although can be tedious.

I'll have to remember this. Thanks :)

Last edited:
You have tried running the pump at the top, the bottom of the loop, tapping it with the handle of a screwdriver, shakin it around... how loud is the rattle? Did you check for any wear along the top housing?

I did some flow testing recently looping out of and back into a 5 gallon bucket and there was no air sound whatsoever. Given the design of the pump I cannot see how it is any defect of the pump itself. I honestly doubt an RMA is going to solve your issue. It sounds like your setup is not bleeding well and air is just going round and round. I would attack the bleeding issue to make sure that the air is working out of your system first.

phaeton said:
You have tried running the pump at the top, the bottom of the loop, tapping it with the handle of a screwdriver, shakin it around... how loud is the rattle? Did you check for any wear along the top housing?

yea, tried all that. its loud, i can hear it plain as day 15' away. no wear to be seen. its brand new. and to voigts, thats along the lines of what im thinking, but the tihng is i dont know what else to do to get the air out. i guess, jusst let it run till it purges?? what sucks is i was gonna add a gpu block soon and im just dreading going thru this again. i need a SURE FIRE bleed method.

The_Jizzler said:
yea, tried all that. its loud, i can hear it plain as day 15' away. no wear to be seen. its brand new. and to voigts, thats along the lines of what im thinking, but the tihng is i dont know what else to do to get the air out. i guess, jusst let it run till it purges?? what sucks is i was gonna add a gpu block soon and im just dreading going thru this again. i need a SURE FIRE bleed method.

How about the MCRES MICRO? Looks quite effective, and it won't break the bank.

those pumps are very strong for their size, especially if the inlet mod is done. Sounds like air is just being recirculated thru your loop. have you tried cycling it on and off and tilt your case everywhich way to help the air to bleed thru your T? if you cycle it on/off you should see bubbles when it stops.

I do remember that the 18w DDC is loud if it has air going through it, so I know what you mean about that. Realize that with a t-line it can take a while for air to work out of the system. If you want a sure-fire way to get air out, then get something like the Swiftech micro-res mentioned above, and preferably if possible place it at the top of your loop.

Back