• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Liquid Cooling Be Portable (to an extent)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swimomatic

Registered
Ok.. i'm lookin at gettin my kit.. but in the past 3 days i've brought my computer to 2 different houses of my friends.. and i thought.. is liquid cooling gonna b portable at all? or is it gonna b stuck where it is now?

It all depends on how much thought you put in to the design of the system. I designed my system without portability in mind, so my heater core and reservoir are external. But there are plenty of ways to have all of your components internally mounted. Just think about what you are trying to accomplish. How big of a heater core do you need? Do you intend to have a reservoir or a t-line? Where can your pump be mounted? And so forth.

I have an internally mounted system and I take it with me to LAN parties, I just make sure it stays upright on the ride there. It's uber heavy, since I have a steel case and water just adds weight, so I hope you don't have to carry it up stairs like I do.

striker85 said:
It all depends on how much thought you put in to the design of the system. I designed my system without portability in mind, so my heater core and reservoir are external. But there are plenty of ways to have all of your components internally mounted. Just think about what you are trying to accomplish. How big of a heater core do you need? Do you intend to have a reservoir or a t-line? Where can your pump be mounted? And so forth.
Is there something wrong with mounting your radiator externally (on the top)? Too me, it does not/should not prevent you from transporting your rig.

Until something with a sharp corner accidently punches through your radiator or even just dents the fins. I transport my Q-Pack rigs daily, and trust me, you don't want your radiator external.

how much would it affect performance putting everything inside of the case?

No, there isn't anything that can be called "wrong" about mounting the radiator externally. But like massiveoverkill said, it would pose a possible risk during the act of transporting. But, as far as the question of "whether or not a water cooled system is portable" the answer is indeed, yes.

As for effectiveness of external vs. internal mounted radiators, the answer depends on a few factors. You need to make sure that there is proper air flow through the radiator. An external radiator will not be as difficult to set up as an internal; just put a fan on it and you're good. For an internal radiator you need to make sure the air you are pushing through it isn't heated by your computer before it reached the radiator. Trully, it doesn't matter much, perhaps a difference of 1-2C, a difference which won't make or break your computer. But if you are trying to create the most efficient water cooling system with an internally mounted radiator, then you need to put a little thought in to the air flow of the case as a whole.

Alright so lets say I were to mount a radiator two different ways
Internally: (Key = Green: Block, Light Blue: Tubing, Red: Radiator, Orange: Pump)
|___|_________|___-_|
|___|_________|___-_|
|__GPU_______@____|
|___|_________|___-_|
|___|_________|___-_|
|___|___RADIATOR___|

Externally:

*Note: because the above drawing took longer than expected, I ask you to use your imagination... Just put the res on the bottom and put the radiator on the outside and top of case.*

The reason why the internally mounted loop has the radiator on the bottom and not on the top is because of space restraints. The only way I could fit a BIP3 on the inside is if I were to put it on the bottom. It also looks perfect for bleeding (reservoir is on top). If the internally mounted loop would provide a better OVERALL loop, how much clearence would the fans need to suck from the outside/bottom air into the case?

Back