• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2k3 questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK i got my hands on a trial copy (the one from microsoft) of Windows Server 2k3 R2 enterprise edition... and i have been hearing that many say gaming performance is alot better in windows server 2k3 compared to windows xp home... i was wondering if this is true.... i should just go run a dual boot and see how it is lol.

Now i have regular windows server 2003 enterprise edition on my pos server and it makes that comp feel really fast.... ok well after im done writing my 15pg paper for english >:| ill go do a dual boot...

Well 2k3 has some diffrent coding so from what I hear some games work some do not. Anything is better then windows xp home though at the very least run winxp pro.

Actually with a fresh install and no server services setup Server 2003 will be using less RAM and running less services than XP. Of course in this state I would hardly call it a server, but once you really make it a server it will be using more RAM and running more services than XP.

As far as it being a better gaming platform I am not really sure. You will need to do a lot of modifications to get it to work as a desktop OS. I remember reading about it once, and it being a lot of work to just get a less functional XP kind of thing going. By default the server OS is locked down and doesn't use a lot of things that would be needed to run a game. It is expected that you would know what things you need to run on that particular server, and you would get them up and running as needed.

It can be argued that it is better or that it is worse. The windows 2003 Kernel Is great, IMO. I tried gaming on it and it REALLY excelled, more so than windows 2000 Pro.

The thing about Win2k3 Enterprise trial is that you can leave it on for months at a time (depending on hardware) and it still consumes pretty much waht it started up with. My fileserver runs the same copy of win2k3, and it consumes about 150 mb of ram, thats stock. I didn't disable a single service.

I also should point out that win2k3 ran on a pentium 3 600 laptop, with 96 meg of ram, and not only did it perform better than win2k by far, but it gained about a 20% boost in FPS on games that would run on it (Quake I think, I can't remember. This was a while ago :) ). Its a great OS

... i dunno i saw a 1pt perfomance increase over windows xp home in windows server 2003 r2.... but thats not a real world test... also it felt as though Windows Server 2003 R2 felt buggy... certian things just didnt work properly even after being fully updated... i think ima test regular Windows Server 2003 NON R2 and see if i get a performance increase. Cus i know for a fact Windows Server 2003 NON r2 is a very fast system...

Back