• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching platforms without reinstalling windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

Is it possible to change mobo without having to reinstall windows, I was figuring if I was able to either uninstall the drivers then switch the mobo and let windows find drivers for the new board, or installing generic drivers and updating them once the new mobo is in.

I'm trying to move a win xp install from a pentium III platform to a dual athlon xp setup, I know it might be hard but all I need is to keep the same applications from the old setup on the new one, so technically I don't need to keep the same install just the same applications, and since it isn't my computer I dont have the applications to install them back on once the new install is done.

Any help is appreciated.

it causes the system to crash, right in the middle of the installtion a window pops up asking if I want to install a driver no matter if I say yes or no it it still crashes I'll give it another try though.

From what I hear it is possible but as a PCTECH I have never seen you not have to reinstall OS after MB installation.

It is easily possible if you prepare in advance (before you remove the old hardware). However, it's not good to do so. Sooner or later you almost always get weird errors and crashes. Reinstalling gives you a lot less headaches in the long run

waste of time.....quicker and less heartache to start from scratch.
good way of getting rid of all that crap software you accumalate over the years

lee

Just re-install it. Its the only way to get rid of the spyware and extra old reg-keys that xp has after it gets old

Back