• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yuri is reconsidering the WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Its been a while since I was into watercooling, but now I'm considering it again. :beer:

Yea, anyway, this doesn't need to be an ultra-top performance loop. It needs to be light and portable, and quiet. Must be all internal. I'm thinking of using 3/8" ID tubing, since its a lot easier to work with and I'm in and out of my PC a lot. Are the swiftechs still the only 12v pumps available? What waterblock(s) should I use for the system in my signature? I'm looking to cool the chipset, processor, and GPU. What radiator/heatercore? I'm thinking of a top-mounted dual-120mm heatercore, but I already have spaces in my case where I could easily mount a 92mm and a 120mm rad.

Er... yea anyway. What do I need?

I would answer man, but, I havent been in wcing for long. So I'll wait for the response from a more experienced person on the forums. I dont want to direct you the wrong way.

Yuriman said:
Its been a while since I was into watercooling, but now I'm considering it again. :beer:

Yea, anyway, this doesn't need to be an ultra-top performance loop. It needs to be light and portable, and quiet. Must be all internal. I'm thinking of using 3/8" ID tubing, since its a lot easier to work with and I'm in and out of my PC a lot. Are the swiftechs still the only 12v pumps available? What waterblock(s) should I use for the system in my signature? I'm looking to cool the chipset, processor, and GPU. What radiator/heatercore? I'm thinking of a top-mounted dual-120mm heatercore, but I already have spaces in my case where I could easily mount a 92mm and a 120mm rad.

Er... yea anyway. What do I need?
I would go with all swiftech gear. Get the DDC pump (MCP350) which is 3/8", get an apogee (storm if you want to spend more), MCW60, the dual swiftech rad and the chipset block. Now, you can get 3/8" ID tubing over 1/2" OD barbs, it will work very well but will take some effort.

In the places I've looked, the MCP350 and 650 are priced about the same, I wouldn't be better off with the 650, and stretching 3/8" tubing over the barbs? How about maybe using 7/16" with thin walls? I'd have to visit the hardware store to determine if its easy enough to work with.

According to this, on CPUs with heatspreaders, the Agpogee performs on par, or better than the storm.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swapexpebl.html

Last edited:
Also, what chipset block would you recommend for a DFI nF4 Ultra-D? I'd rather not put my video card in the 2nd slot, since I will probably be putting both of my PC slots to use, so I would need something low-profile, or with the barbs off-center, like this:

EDIT: This might work, if I can get it to fit on my chipset.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Just a question, why would you rather not put it in the second slot? Switch them jumpers and you get 8x on both slots. There is ZERO difference between 8x and 16x anyway.

I have a regular Maze4 chipset block on my Ultra D. I don't care what people say as it has not affected the performance of the cooling of my CPU or GPU and my chipset never even hits 30. I mean never. It doesn't even go up one degree from idle to load.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Well, I will probably put my PCI slot to use... I was just looking for an alternative. Anyway, if there is no chipset block which won't interfere with my top slot, what would be a good block that doesn't restrict flow at all?

can't answer the question above mine, but i'd say for a loop:

DDC/MCP350 for pump
BIP or BIP2 for rad (depending if you can fit it in your case)
Apogee, or even a WW for CPU block (both fairly cheap)
Maze4GPU Acetal for GPU, and ramsinks.
Chipset, i'd just go Air cooling.

Maze 4 is not hurting my temps at all. If this looks like my temps are suffering by w/c a chipset, I'd yank it off.

temps5ks.jpg

I was worried aboout the regular Maze4, but it fits perfectly.

Right, but is the Maze4 one of the less-restrictive blocks? Also, why the 350 when the 650 and 655 are about the same price? Does the 350 have some advantages?

Also, I'll have to check, but I think I still have 2 Chevette heatercores with shrouds in my closet from my last venture into watercooling.

Yuriman said:
Right, but is the Maze4 one of the less-restrictive blocks? Also, why the 350 when the 650 and 655 are about the same price? Does the 350 have some advantages?

Also, I'll have to check, but I think I still have 2 Chevette heatercores with shrouds in my closet from my last venture into watercooling.

You know, after checking over, the DDC and the D5 are at the same price. I always thought the DDC was considerably lower.

The DDC is more compact, and is 3/8". If you're going 1/2", i guess the D5 would be the best bet. It's a little louder AFAIK.

Yuriman said:

The 350 is

1.) Significantly quieter
2.) Can be easily modded to provide as much performance as either the 650/655
3.) Works better with higher restriction loops than the 650/655
4.) Compact

Im sure there are other disadvantages/advantages that I havent pointed out.

Alright, here is what I have so far:

CPU Block

GPU Block - Says it comes with ramsinks, but I thought the -B version didn't?

Chipset Block - Woot.

Pump - I'd prefer the 10w pump but I'd keep it if they sent me the 18w version.

Radiator - Havn't decided yet on what one. I already have a few Chevette heatercores, but they are rather large and heavy, and I'd have to paint them. What do you think?

Fans - I already have a Panaflo L1A that I can use, and I think a 38mm fan would generally be better, but it isn't exactly "silent". Might I be better off with one or two of these Yate Loons undervolted, if I'm looking for silence?

Tubing - Its been a while, I need recommendations. I'm going to use 3/8", preferably thin-walled and very flexible.

Yuriman said:
Alright, here is what I have so far:

CPU Block

GPU Block - Says it comes with ramsinks, but I thought the -B version didn't?

Chipset Block - Woot.

Pump - I'd prefer the 10w pump but I'd keep it if they sent me the 18w version.

Radiator - Havn't decided yet on what one. I already have a few Chevette heatercores, but they are rather large and heavy, and I'd have to paint them. What do you think?

Fans - I already have a Panaflo L1A that I can use, and I think a 38mm fan would generally be better, but it isn't exactly "silent". Might I be better off with one or two of these Yate Loons undervolted, if I'm looking for silence?

Tubing - Its been a while, I need recommendations. I'm going to use 3/8", preferably thin-walled and very flexible.

Tygon R3603 would be your best bet for tubing, but probably expensive. Good choice on parts. On the GPU Block you have to select "Add 8 BG14 Ramsinks" at the bottom of the page. For a radiator, i'd probably just use a heatercore you have laying around, and maybe paint it. I'd be too lazy and just leave it as is. Then again, i don't have the cash to buy a new H/C.

I like everything you have listed there, and think its perfect... Yes you can get some of my 3/8 Tygon im sure i dont need all 50ft of it.

The one thing still in question is the Rad, and its location. An external 2x120 with a single panflow either your L1A or one of the faster ones should provide enough air movement + some passive. You may even beable to run it totaly passive if the rad is outside the case. If you would rather keep your heater core and use that then you save some cash but will need a fan for it. I would then suggest runing your LA1 over that in the front intake on your case and just leaving the one 80mm exaust.

o one other thing... Jab-Tech just make sure your address stuff is all working... They refused to ship me because they cant find my address on the creditcards file even though i called and verifed that it was indeed on file.

Exhaust is 92mm. :p

Yea, that was somewhat what I had in mind, at least to start with. I suppose I'll buy the blocks, put it together, and then determine if I'm happy or not and make a move from there.

Anyway, to put my heatercore in the front (not yet sure if it will fit), I'll need to relocate my hard drives to my 5 1/4" bays. While I'm at it, I might as well silence them. Any suggestions? I can foam them up, but they are not really cool running drives.

EDIT: Also, opinions on the ramsinks? You think its worth it spending $15 extra for good ramsinks, that will look a LOT better than what I have in my drawer.

Alright... I had a Chevette heatercore... but it appears the box it was in was thrown out... so, what cheap single 120mm radiator do you suggest? Are there any 92mm rads? I'm trying to think of where I can stuff more surface area without making more cuts in my case.

Back