• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandon_Tyler

Registered
Hey all,

I ve got a question for you pro modders. I want to build a custom Reservoir for my up coming project. I'm stuck at the point of needed to know what type of 3/8ths or 1/2" NPT tap I need. I plan on building 1/4" acrylic and using IPS Weld-On #3 to complete all seam work.

Here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9387 or http://www.grizzly.com/products/H0465

Thanks for any advice or comments

- Brandon

you want the second link..not the 1st one. the 2nd is a NPT tap set.
be sure to use some kind of lubricant..and use lots of it when you start cutting. go like 1/4 - 1/3 a turn then back it out. and go slow so you don't crack the acrylic. I built my res and used a 3/8" NPT with plastic PushOn barbs from mcmaster. You're also gonna need a Tap Handle..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6969

I'd recommend getting one of these if you don't already have one. Theyire the best when making holes in plastic...pretty much anything you need to put holes in. It never cracks the plastic. you can find cheaper ones on ebay...you don't need great quality like the grizzly brand if you're just cutting plastic.

Last edited:
realize that 3/8" pipe thread is quite large. 1/2" pipe thread is huge for a watercooling setup. And, while tapping acrylic, you will have to be very careful not to crack it. I might recommend Lexan (polycarbonate) or PETG instead if you plan on tapping it.

also, a good source for nearly all industrial supplies is mcmaster.com

hope it helps,
NeoMoses

NeoMoses said:
realize that 3/8" pipe thread is quite large. 1/2" pipe thread is huge for a watercooling setup. And, while tapping acrylic, you will have to be very careful not to crack it. I might recommend Lexan (polycarbonate) or PETG instead if you plan on tapping it.

also, a good source for nearly all industrial supplies is mcmaster.com

hope it helps,
NeoMoses

yeah, acrylic is easy to crack but tapping can be done...especially if you use a stepped bit. I really recommend it if you haven't used one.
and when you tap, use lots of cutting lubricant....and go slow!!

One thing I think that may be a problem for tapping plastic like that is that it is pretty thin. You may want to epoxy a couple squares where you want your hole so that there is more material to tap in to so that there will be more threads to hold your barb in. It will help reduce the risk of craking too.

is your glue capable of bonding acrylic and polycarbinate both? if so i would recomend making just the side that is to be tapped out of poly and using a stepped bit.
the problem with just relying on threads is leaks and cracks due to the brittle ness of the acrylic. you get spiderweb cracks pretty easy from lateral torque.

poly is much better for it but no matter what 1/4 is a bit thin to use for a tapped port. you could go with a thicker peice or like someone else said laminate layer it or you could make a permenant barb.

Back