• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7/16 tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxburn

So I read something about 7/16th tubing. I am guessing you are going use 1/2 inch water blocks and etc with that kind of tubing right. So I really want to water cool, but I don't want leaks. So if you have the right parts and install everything correctly, it never leaks right?

thats what they say !!
apparently you have to warm the tubing before you attempt to put it on...
ive even heard you dont even need clamps on the tubing ! ( butI would imaging putting them on would only add to more stress to the tubing maybe ?
( just a guess)

masterkleer is popular 7/16 tubing

Never leaking is a bit of a stretch. There are other places that water can leak from besides the tubing connections, but 7/16" over 1/2" helps to prevent leakage from the tubing. Yes, if you take your time you shouldn't have any leaks.

I am using 7/16" masterkleer over 1/2" barbs and it is VERY snug, but I still use hose clamps. To give you an example of how snug this is I had to remove the tubing off of my Maze 4 and I ended up using a razor blade to get the job done. At one point I had the block in one hand and the tubing in the other pulling as hard as I could and the tubing would not budge.

When I first setup my loop I did heat the ends of the tubing in a pot of boiling water to get it to fit over the barbs, but now I just wet the ends of the tubing with water and work it from side to side until it is on. Masterkleer is cheap and flexible, but it does get a little hazy after a while.

Take your time, double check all connections/parts in the loop, and be sure to leak test and you should be okay.

Fluxburn said:
I just want to watercool my computer to be a nerd.
lol.... if that's the case you might aswell get the kit. less hassle... otherwise go for the individual components.

I am using 7/16 on 1/2 barbs with no clamps for a while now and have had ZERO leaks. Just take your time and do it right.

hmmm. Now i'm wondering whether or not i should buy the 1/2'' tubing. It seems like everyone that is someone :D uses 7/16''

But iono i always thought thicker tubing looked a lot cooler, sorta like tygon :D
hmmm iono when i put on the 1/2'' clearflex tubing on my barbs last time it seemed pretty tight. I couldn't even pull them out easily, took a while but i managed to keep wiggling them around till they got loose enough.

O yea. I'm using a zalman wb2 cpu block. And i'm not really sure if i get the thicker tubing if it'll fit through those fittings that tighten down on the block. i found this in a review. Wats it mean?
" The block comes with 10mm (~5/16") , 11mm (~3/8"), and 13mm (~1/2") outter diameter fittings for different size tubing. " Its only meant for 1/2'' and less for OD?!

Last edited:
bumsquad said:
O yea. I'm using a zalman wb2 cpu block. And i'm not really sure if i get the thicker tubing if it'll fit through those fittings that tighten down on the block. i found this in a review. Wats it mean?
" The block comes with 10mm (~5/16") , 11mm (~3/8"), and 13mm (~1/2") outter diameter fittings for different size tubing. " Its only meant for 1/2'' and less for OD?!

Yeah. But on the fittings. If a fitting has a 1/2" OD it is designed to accept a hose end with 1/2" ID. Same thing goes for 3/8" hose/fitting.

R B Customs said:
thats what they say !!
apparently you have to warm the tubing before you attempt to put it on...
ive even heard you dont even need clamps on the tubing ! ( butI would imaging putting them on would only add to more stress to the tubing maybe ?
( just a guess)

I heard that too.
If put the ends of the tubing in boiling water it makes it able to stretch over the barbs. If you decide to go with clamps, dont put the clamps on till the tubing has cooled or else the clamps will cut into the tubing. Also I have heard if you do this you have to cut the tubing to get it off.

anyone got a pic of 7/16'' tubing? I wanna c how it looks compared to like 3/4'' OD for 1/2'' tubing.

bumsquad said:
anyone got a pic of 7/16'' tubing? I wanna c how it looks compared to like 3/4'' OD for 1/2'' tubing.

Although its out of stock, here's a product description page for some 7/16" Tygon. if you look at the last pic, theres a side by side comparison with some 1/2 ID tubing (im assuming since thats the only other tubing size they carry and from personal experience it looks about right).

7/16" tubing can fit pretty snug over 1/2" barbs and you probably dont need any hose clamps or zip ties, but you might as well just spend the extra couple bucks for ease of mind. A couple extra bucks is nothing in comparison to the potential cost if you get a leak. You will be able to make tighter bends with 7/16" ID tubing over 1/2" ID too.

The 1/2" perfect seal barbs that Dangerden has gives a good seal with 1/2" tubing too. I have to use needle nose pliers to get the remnants of the barbs because it is so tight you an't get a good grip otherwise.

bumsquad said:

I don't have any other tubing to compare my 7/16" tubing to, but I will take a pic with something for size reference in a second.

Edit: Pic below. You are looking at my low pro Maze 4 on my x1900xt with OCZ RAMsinks....picture doesn't look bad for an old 2.1MP camera.
Picture.jpg

count me as another one using 7/16 over 1/2 inch barbs. i dip the ends in boiling water before i put them on. i've been running my loop for abot 2 months now with no hose clamps with no leaks. i don't ever move my computer though so if you're into LAN parties and whatnot you might want the extra security that comes with using clamps.

hmmm thanks for the images it seems 7/16'' is a lot smaller than i thought thinner than a penny even FREAK @_@ hmmm
but it gives extra protection, and i may not even have to use hoseclamps. Definitely enticing... What should i do guys? should i go for 1/2'' thick tubing or 7/16''!!!!

I use 7/16" ID masterkleer tubing and I really like how it fits over 1/2" barbs. I use zip ties just to make sure it stays on there. I'll see if I have some good pics to show you

my.php

I did use metal hose clamps on my rad and pump as you can see here.

Back