• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Basically, if we take a look at the trend of the Windows Operating systems, they seem to be using up more resources with every refresh; Vista will be no different. That is the one major draw back of the new OS that is coming out. It will take up a lot of resources and in the end, most likely cause you to upgrade your system. If I remember correctly, Vista will use a minimum of around 800 Megs of committed memory (on a 2 gig system), and require a P4 or newer CPU. But since I am unsure at the moment, and am only on break AND my battery is about to give out on my laptop, check back as I will update this post with links to back up my claims.

Some of the good things around vista circle around the new graphics design layout. It will have certain features such as aero glass, which in short, make windows act like glass (clear). This can also turn into a hassle as you will need a video card which will be able to match the power needed to run this.

Other improvements in Vista include a major improvement in security. We have seen over the past few months/years, that Microsoft has been experimenting with --anti-virus software-- and --spyware software detection--, while at the same time --buying out other companies-- to pool their efforts into a few major windows programs. These programs will show their true colours when Vista comes out in end of 2006 - most likely 2007.

Anyways, I will be back with more later today.

Raven

EDIT: Sorry for the delay, but having to deal with a landlord interveening while hooking up an internet connection, can get very lengthy.

Anyways, as I promised, here are some links about Vista that you might find interesting.
So basically in the end, Vista will be just like any other OS which has come before it. It will 'WoW' certain people, annoy others, be expensive, and require better hardware to run. My guess is that one will only really know whether or not they want Vista, only after it comes out.

Last edited:
i couldnt give a **** how pretty windows is... blue bars and all that rubbish gets turned off right away... anyone who actually bothers with getting as much performance would do the same...

i was looking forward to vista using a better filing system than NTFS but it looks like ms ditched that... :(

raven said:
Basically, if we take a look at the trend of the Windows Operating systems, they seem to be using up more resources with every refresh; Vista will be no different. That is the one major draw back of the new OS that is coming out. It will take up a lot of resources and in the end, most likely cause you to upgrade your system. If I remember correctly, Vista will use a minimum of around 800 Megs of committed memory (on a 2 gig system), and require a P4 or newer CPU. But since I am unsure at the moment, and am only on break AND my battery is about to give out on my laptop, check back as I will update this post with links to back up my claims.

Some of the good things around vista circle around the new graphics design layout. It will have certain features such as aero glass, which in short, make windows act like glass (clear). This can also turn into a hassle as you will need a video card which will be able to match the power needed to run this.

Other improvements in Vista include a major improvement in security. We have seen over the past few months/years, that Microsoft has been experimenting with --anti-virus software-- and --spyware software detection--, while at the same time --buying out other companies-- to pool their efforts into a few major windows programs. These programs will show their true colours when Vista comes out in end of 2006 - most likely 2007.

Anyways, I will be back with more later today.

Raven

EDIT: Sorry for the delay, but having to deal with a landlord interveening while hooking up an internet connection, can get very lengthy.

Anyways, as I promised, here are some links about Vista that you might find interesting.
So basically in the end, Vista will be just like any other OS which has come before it. It will 'WoW' certain people, annoy others, be expensive, and require better hardware to run. My guess is that one will only really know whether or not they want Vista, only after it comes out.

Wow cheers!!!

I had heard it does have a better file system. The one feature that stands out for me that I think is nice is with it, you can open almost any kind of file without having the program that was used to create it. For example, someone sends you a pdf file and you don't have acrobat reader installed, you can still open it. It will work much like the viewer programs. Allow you to view but not really edit. Kind of like right now, you can download a viewer of anything that is part of of microsoft office for free, but you can't edit it unless you have the real program. The difference with Vista is you won't have to download these viewers. Vista will recognize all these various file formats and open them to for you. It may not seem like a big deal, but I guess that could come in handy if you get a lot of emails etc. from people that send you files that you can't open. I also suspect a heavy implementation of DRM with Vista. I'm not sure why Microsoft even messed with a 64 bit version of XP with Vista on the horizon.

Prot said:
I had heard it does have a better file system. The one feature that stands out for me that I think is nice is with it, you can open almost any kind of file without having the program that was used to create it. For example, someone sends you a pdf file and you don't have acrobat reader installed, you can still open it. It will work much like the viewer programs. Allow you to view but not really edit. Kind of like right now, you can download a viewer of anything that is part of of microsoft office for free, but you can't edit it unless you have the real program. The difference with Vista is you won't have to download these viewers. Vista will recognize all these various file formats and open them to for you. It may not seem like a big deal, but I guess that could come in handy if you get a lot of emails etc. from people that send you files that you can't open. I also suspect a heavy implementation of DRM with Vista. I'm not sure why Microsoft even messed with a 64 bit version of XP with Vista on the horizon.

Just to not confuse anyone, Windows Vista will NOT be coming out with WinFS. This is because after initial testing with WinFS, Microsoft was not happy with its performance, and therefore decided to cut it out of the original release, mature the File System, and then offer it as an update through Windows Update. More info on this can be found below:

As for those other features that you stated Prot, that is very insteresting. This would definitely make life easier for many people. Just think, not having to fool around with downloading and installing viewers, but haveing everything already build in. Could you possibly provide a link to this, as I would love to have a read.

Other interesting features of Vista is --Avalon-- and --Indigo--.

Incase anyone wanted some more information on Vista, visit these links --Here-- and --Here--.

gigabit said:
Were can i get a trial copy?Im a beta tester for MS / MSDN but yet i can not find a trial version.

It seems to be hit and miss on who got the beta invite. Me and a friend of mine became MCPs at the same time and he didnt get an invite where as I did.

But to tell you the truth you aren't missing much.

threeme2189 said:
I think il stick to good old (not too old) windows XP.

Personally After working a little with Vista, I wish Microsoft would just work with XP and do the addons with it and make them optional. XP has been a really good OS right up there with Win2k IMO.

Back