• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Restoring XP's Disk Defragg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My mate seems to have been messing about with his PC and for some unknown reason best known to himself. Decided to delete the link for the defragg program in system tools.

How can he restore it if there's a way I know someone who might know. I've told him to use Diskeeper I did have a copy of 9 Pro lying around but can't find it as of yet.

But he'd rather use the Win XP version the muppet.

Go to "My Computer", rightclick on the driveletter you want to defrag, properties, tools, Defragment Now

Drag dfrg.msc from the %SystemRoot%\system32 directory to...

C:\Documents and Settings | All Users | Start Menu | Programs | Accessories | System Tools

... as a shortcut. He could also just type dfrg.msc in the Run box to bring up the Disk Defragmenter tool.

Ha I knew you would answer redduc thanks it's fixed now and I've told to stop messing with the dam operating system.

Diskeeper rules. MUCH more informative than the standard windows defragger. For example, the large amount of "reserved system space" really bugs me. Which is something the normal windows one doesn't even show you. The normal windows one just gives you the impression all the green stuff is actually USED system file space. Not just blank and reserved. On a 72GB drive (my two raptors in raid 0), this reserved space takes up 2 1/2 lines worth in the Diskeeper defrag window. I REALLY hope it's not blank space.

Plus it seems faster too.

Just a FYI, but the defragmenter that comes with XP is made by Diskeeper... albeit an older version (it was the newest version at the time of XP's release), and the newer Lite and Full versions are more feature rich like you mentioned.

YAY I found my Diskeeper Pro 9 installed it and it's changed my paging file as it said something along the line. That it probably wasn't big enough so it's set it to the recommened size. And it's moces stuff a hell of a lot quicker than the bog standard 1 great software and well worth the price.

usually windows runs better with a fixed size paging file- like 1.5 X the installed memory.

Back