• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System crashes when loading Civ 4 games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gimps

So I came across a very strange problem. My system has been running flawlessly since I put it together a year ago, however I just started playing Civ4 and whenever I try to load a saved game I get a blue screen. This error does not occurr when I start Civ4 or make a new game, it only happens when loading a saved game. Also I have not seen this error while running any other program.

So onto the error:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
0X0000007A
win32k.sys - Address BF93D1FA base at BF800000 DATESTAMP 43446958

I did a little research so far and found this error is common when running your HDD as a slave drive, however I'm not doing that. I'm not sure exactly why this error is occurring but any help would be appreciated so I can go back wiping the French off the face of the Earth!

System Specs:
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
3500+ San Diego
2x512mb Mushkin Redline PC3500
WD Raptor 74GB
Geforce 7800GTX

Test your RAM by running Memtest86 3.2, which you can download from Majorgeeks here...

Memtest86 3.2
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1247.html

Schedule Chkdsk to run on the root volume following the next reboot. Open Explorer and right click the root volume (C:\) | Select "Properties" | "Tools" tab | Error-checking --> "Check Now" button | Under "Check disk options", put a check next to "Automatically fix file system errors", and click the "Start" button | A disk check dialog will pop up asking if you'd like to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart your computer...select Yes | OK out of the Disk Checking windows, close Explorer, and restart your PC.

Run a virus scan, making sure you have the latest DAT files loaded for your scanner, then run Spybot S&D to check for spyware / malware...

SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html

Memtest was actually running as I typed this thread and it turned up zero errors.

I also ran chkdsk which turned up a few errors in the Civ4 folders. I guess the logical thing to do is reinstall the game and see if that fixes the problem. Seems a little strange though as I've never had a game that became corrupt.

Back