• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player 11 CPU100%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

Just installed Media Player 11 and I loved it at first sight, except this major problem, within 2 minutes of operation cpu usage ups to 100%, which no real reason. Every time it seems. I know this is a beta and problems were inevitable, but surely MS wouldnt have released it like this! What could be causing this on my comp? Running Media Centre 2005.

Media Player 10 would also do this quite often, especially if iTunes was running at the same time. All Drivers are up to date as dar as I am aware. Although my sound drivers play around alot, relatek wont install, but the nVidia stuff does (that came with mobo)

mine seems to have sortesd itself out a bit, working rather well now:) Finally I can turn away from iTunes completely, I now have an apple free life! Yippee!

whitebloodcell said:
Just installed Media Player 11 and I loved it at first sight, except this major problem, within 2 minutes of operation cpu usage ups to 100%, which no real reason. Every time it seems. I know this is a beta and problems were inevitable, but surely MS wouldnt have released it like this! What could be causing this on my comp? Running Media Centre 2005.

Media Player 10 would also do this quite often, especially if iTunes was running at the same time.
Try disabling Visualizations.

Seems amazing that the same thing has happened with the final release of WM11 as well. But it has. Not resolving itself either this time. Any way to completely uninstall Media Player from Windows, and start afresh?

Any other ideas, i've tried the obvious ones, reinstalling codecs and players atc.

Could it be scanning for Media Files? I have especially noticed WMP11's "Volume Levelling" function is excruciatingly slow (at least the first time you add the Volume Levelling to the files)

:cool:

FWIW, 3D Pinball (yes, the one included with Windows XP) used to have a similar issue.

All you had to do is fire it up and watch your CPU usage go straight to 100%. Some systems may still do this.

Back