• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mith192

Registered
I have been and still am modding my case I will post pics and concepts of it here in the near future. I am considering getting water cooling over the summer. I have some ideas as far as my wc Loop or Loops will be setup. I am hopping to have two Double pass heatercores setup as radiators with the spacers and 4 fans on each(2 on each side) If i can I might get some larger heatercores. I was looking at the Danger Den heatercores unless some one can suggest something better.

Last edited:
Here are the parts i am looking at. I am open to any suggestions ou have. I am also interested in Termo Electric Cooling.

Radiator
Memory cooler (2 of these)
Pump
Reservoir
CPU Water Block
Chipset WaterBlock(I havent been able to find one that fits the original SLI-DR with a vid card installed)
GPU (probably going to get a 7900GT or GTX by then so i will get a different one)

Seriously, ram coolers are not needed. I have never heard of a stick of ram overheating. You want to focus on the critical computing parts i.e. cpu and gpu.

striker85 said:
Seriously, ram coolers are not needed. I have never heard of a stick of ram overheating. You want to focus on the critical computing parts i.e. cpu and gpu.

I haven't either. But I have heard of them going bad. I'd imagine that if the manus of memory modules could possibly profit from the adding of thermal diodes on their products, they would.

The reality could very well be this:
They have indeed measured the temps manually, and found that if they added the convenient ability for the end user to do the same, review sites would trash the decision as one not justifying the price difference and they wouldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile. But laymen like myself have no good way to know these things, so take the above as assumption and conjecture.

I do not measure the temps of my system memory because it isn't convenient. I also run my RAM in spec. I know that should it "artifact" if overheated to the point of instability, the problem would surely cure itself when my machine became completely unresponsive or restarts itself, thus allowing 'downtime' for the units to cool off. Not to mention alerting me that: "Houston, we have a problem!"

actually i was considering buying a thermal take tide water and putting the RAM coolers on there own loop.

You have to ask yourself if thats worth the money. Your UTT memory does get hot and when I put GeForce 3 style memory coolers on my old sticks of UTT I gained 4-5MHz. You may see the same improvement, maybe not. Is $200 in water cooling hardware worth 5MHz of memory speed?

Moto7451 said:
You have to ask yourself if thats worth the money. Your UTT memory does get hot and when I put GeForce 3 style memory coolers on my old sticks of UTT I gained 4-5MHz. You may see the same improvement, maybe not. Is $200 in water cooling hardware worth 5MHz of memory speed?
I guess not i might just get some heat sinks and lap them with rubbing compound then do some kind of fan rig up over them.

Right now i am seriously considering building a custom external Water Cooling setup to give me more space. Has any one else done this or have any ideas?

Back