• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression vs Barbs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedmonkay

I hear alot of people talk about barb fittings for their system.
I have compressions on everything in my system but the GPU.

So I was wondering which you prefer ?
Why do you prefer one over the other ?
Any real advantages to one or the other ?

I tried compression fittings when I began water cooling. But maybe I got bad fittings, maybe I didn't pick the right ones, but either way they leaked like crazy. I fooled with them for ever. After I while I said screw it, and got barbs just for the sake of ease. I wouldn't mind doing some sort of quick connect, but I have to wait til I get some money. I can't think of any advantages of one over the other.

I guess I got lucky with my compression fittings then cause the tubing i ordered with my parts and tubing Ive gotten from Home Depot works just fine.

Compression fittings and instant fittings also come in a limited variety of sizes. So if you like using 1/2" ID tubing you're left with barbs.
Compression fittings and instant fittings are made for specific tubing dimensions, but barb fittings can handle a wider variety of wall thickness.

So, depends.

Back