• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Problems - Maybe a virus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trojanmike34

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I left my computer running last night like normal. When I went this morning to surf the web, I double clicked on firefox. The computer pretty much froze and I did a ctrl-alt-delete. I tried opening Microsoft Outlook to check my email and it froze my computer as well. I restarted my computer to see if that would fix the problem, but it did not. The computer runs really well otherwise. IE will open up some websites after about a 3 minute wait.

The internet connection works fine through other programs. I downloaded anti virus updates, spybot updates and adaware updates like normal, achieving fast speeds.

I have done the following:

1) Updated and ran AVG, Spybot and adaware. Spybot and adaware found no problems, which they usually do when I run them weekly. AVG found no viruses.
2) Tried to perform a System Restore twice, with different go-back dates. Both time windows responded by saying it could not successfully go back.
3) Scan Disk does not seem to run. It keeps saying to restart the computer, but it won't run after the restart.

Specs:
HP a730n, WinXP, P4 3.0ghz, 2.0gb ram, 200gb hd, Zone Alarm running 24/7

Any recommendations on what to do next?

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:
I just ran CHKDSK and it fixed the problem. Anyone know what could have created the problem originally?

Mike

Hard drive beginning to fail is one possibility. An interruption in power while writing to the hard drive is another possibility. If the machine is overclocked, hard drive corruption probablity increases, particularly if it's using onboard sata controller in a raid 0 configuration (experimented with this several times). In general, you should run chkdsk as part of your regular maintenance.

Prot said:
In general, you should run chkdsk as part of your regular maintenance.

I agree a quick check at the end of every month is worth while specially if you have been installing software or ripping music etc. I always run 1 every month and check for virus' every week I also defrag at the end of the week depending on if I have installed stuff or if I can remember to do it.

You might run a hard drive fitness test - the manufacturer has the floppy utilities for free in their support section.

Back