• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I Configure Windows to let me Access Comcast???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Route44

I have a brand new build. I loaded the Windows XP Professional 2004 version with SP2 without a hitch. The thing is it won't let me access Comcast via the Internet.

I purchased this XP OEM with product key so I don't have a manual to figure out how to configure it in order to set Comcast.net as my internet home page.

I have a 4 port router and both of my computers access the internet via this router. It is imperative that I access Comcast through my new PC because my email is set up in Comcast which has two license keys via email for antivirus and a firewall for my new build.

Right now all that Windows will allow me to do is access the internet via MSN. When I type in Comcast's URL it hangs and hangs and hangs.

So, what do I do and where do I go to in Windows in order to straighten this out? Thanks!

As far as I know, there is nothing that needs to be done to additional machines to access the internet once a connection has been established. In the past, I have advised friends that if they have a backup machine, have that on be the one you make the initial connection with comcast. That way all their spyware can be installed on the tester box and not on the main rig.

Having said that, if indeed you have internet access through that cable modem from another machine, I would try some basic stuff.

Clear your dns resolver cache...
start run cmd type: ipconfig /flushdns
&
Clear your browsers cache

Those are the first things I'll do if I am having connectivity issues with a machine that let's me get to the net with one program and not another.

I will do what you say. I tried going to yahoo.com and accessing my secondary email address. Yahoo loaded, unlike Comcast, but I was stopped cold from accessing my email account with a warning that cookies were rejected. Is that a Windows Firewall issue even though I have it disabled? I do have Sunbelt's Kerio 4.2 Personal Firewall but I only loaded it this morning and my issues were last night (as well as today).

Cookies are never rejected by default in windows XP your settings must have gotten changed.

BUT you can always go to tools internet options Privacy tab

You can either adjust your settingsto a lower lever, or click the SITES button and add comcast.net to your allow list.

Guys thanks! This is why I really like the OC Forums. I've gotten great help from people here like you. Neur0mancer, your advice was perfect. It has been over 5 years since I had to configure Windows and the internet and the last time I had sombody set it up for me so I had no frame of reference at all.

This is a brand new install of XP Professional on a brand new build and Windows only did what it was supposed to do by default. I went into tools and set my homepage toComcast and it loaded up perfectly! So simple but if you don't know you end up pulling out your hair... like me. BIG *SIGH* OF RELIEF. Thanks again, much appreciated.

By the way, snafumaster, I like your gree sig. You are the only person I know who hasn't had that happened.

Regarding text from snafumaster's signiture, "I must have a problem with all of my Windows machines...they never seem to crash".:

Windows not crashing is normal for Windows 2000 and (although less) Windows 2000 based operating systems.

Thanks guys for the reference to my sig.

It was meant to be completely "tounge in cheek". I know Windows products are far from perfect, however I also realize that most issues with it are end-user caused. Not to mention, they are usually fairly sinmple to solve. People have to understand that it is extremely difficult to make a system that is ; Absolutely stable...completely user friendly...broad based in it's ability to accept all kinds of hardware and software...and able to be rock solid against the masses of "ill-doers" that would love to see the mighty fall.

@Route44-
Glad to hear you were able to solve your issue. I know how gratifying it is to solve a problem yourself with the minimal ammount of assistance.

Back