• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime 95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rock808

I am new overclocking and have a Pentium D 805

I have decided to benchmark the system using prime 95 and i now notice that i have two bars for cpu usage on the readings tab probably because im dual core.

When i run the program one bar is 100% whilst the other is about 30%. Do i use this as a benchmark, or should i be testing both cores at the same time?

Any advice and instructions would be welcome

Prime 95 isnt much of a bench marking program as it is a stress testing utility and stability tester. But there is a walkthrough on this forum on how to get prime95 to use both cores.

btw :welcome: to the Forums

You basically need to run two instances of prime95 to utilize both cores. THis make sit even more useless for benchmarking (but still very good for stress testing, and for searching for large prime numbers).

Yes, it's main purpose is te distributed search for large mersenne prime numbers (see www.mersenne.org). It just happens to be very stressful on the cpu, so the author built in a stress testing mode which checks results for problems (and a benchmark mode).

Noone said you couldn't benchmark with it, just that that wasn't a good use of the program. I don't know about that, I just know it's better at trying to find prime numbers and stress testing than it is at benchmarking (but it's really good at those, so...).

Thanks i now have prime up and working

Any advice on good benchmarking software?

Back