• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP1 or SP2???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acompdude

I got a few windows xp pro disks(new and sealed with COA) and i want to know if they are sp1 or sp2. Is there any way that i can tell without opening them up?

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but, if what you got are the boxed versions of Windows XP, then it should say directly on the box whether or not it has a service pack installed (--Sample--)

If that doesn't help, then I would suggest that you go to --How To Tell--, and compare your COA with the manufactured dates and release dates of SP1, SP1a, and SP2.
  • SP1: Release Date: September 9, 2002
  • SP1a: Release Date: February 3, 2003
  • SP2: Release Date: August 25, 2004
More on the Service Packs can be found --Here--.

Raven

raven said:
I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but, if what you got are the boxed versions of Windows XP, then it should say directly on the box whether or not it has a service pack installed (--Sample--)

If that doesn't help, then I would suggest that you go to --How To Tell--, and compare your COA with the manufactured dates and release dates of SP1, SP1a, and SP2.
  • SP1: Release Date: September 9, 2002
  • SP1a: Release Date: February 3, 2003
  • SP2: Release Date: August 25, 2004
More on the Service Packs can be found --Here--.

Raven

No they are not boxed versions. They are OEM but they are still sealed in the wrappers.

This is what my COA looks like.
coa21uq.jpg

Can anyone tell from that?

It should say on the sleeve. If not, look through the clear window of the sleeve if it has one and it might say it on the disk itself. You may also check the receipt for the order and it might say. How long ago did you buy/receive them? Did you get them new or second hand?

Ok, I think that i figured out that they are SP1 disks. I want to sell them on ebay and I was wondering if I could sell them with a windows XP Pro SP2 disk and tell them to use the SP1 COA with the SP2 Disk. Is this violating anything or will the SP1 COA not work with a SP2 disk?

Each disk should have it's own COA. I think further discussion regarding the sale of this product borders on what is not allowed in these forums.

Ascii2 said:
Certificate of Authenticity does not seem to be valid.
I am curious why you would say that? That picture is taken directly from Microsoft's website and is used as an example of how the COA looks like. If you were to take a look at the link I supplied (--Here--), then you would have noticed that it is the Blue version of the COA.

As for the discussion of this, I believe that it is a legitimate question, as acompdude is just asking about the legalities of using a different license with an updated version of the software. As long as acompdude does not post a link to his ebay listing, or a price, then it shouldn't break the forum's advertising rules.

And as for your question acompdude, every copy of Windows should come with its own COA. If you are wanting to sell an SP2 version of Windows XP Pro which does not have a COA, with a legitament SP1 version of Windows, then that would be breaching the EULA and would be considered illegal. As long as a person has acquired a copy of windows WITHOUT purchasing it, then it is considered illegal. Service Pack 2 can be freely downloaded from Microsoft's update site, or can be ordered on a CD, free of charge (shipping might apply). What you might want to do is order a few of these disks and ship them with the SP1 XP Pro's, and maybe with a few instructions on how to update to to SP2 (or information on how to slipstream). This would keep you out of the woods, and keep microsoft off of your back.

If I remember correctly it should say Microsoft Windows Home Edition/Professional With SP2 on the same line.

Why not pop it into someone else's PC and explore the disk to see if it has a SP2 folder.

raven said:
I am curious why you would say that? That picture is taken directly from Microsoft's website and is used as an example of how the COA looks like. If you were to take a look at the link I supplied (--Here--), then you would have noticed that it is the Blue version of the COA.

As for the discussion of this, I believe that it is a legitimate question, as acompdude is just asking about the legalities of using a different license with an updated version of the software. As long as acompdude does not post a link to his ebay listing, or a price, then it shouldn't break the forum's advertising rules.

And as for your question acompdude, every copy of Windows should come with its own COA. If you are wanting to sell an SP2 version of Windows XP Pro which does not have a COA, with a legitament SP1 version of Windows, then that would be breaching the EULA and would be considered illegal. As long as a person has acquired a copy of windows WITHOUT purchasing it, then it is considered illegal. Service Pack 2 can be freely downloaded from Microsoft's update site, or can be ordered on a CD, free of charge (shipping might apply). What you might want to do is order a few of these disks and ship them with the SP1 XP Pro's, and maybe with a few instructions on how to update to to SP2 (or information on how to slipstream). This would keep you out of the woods, and keep microsoft off of your back.

First of all, thanks raven for all of your help. I will do like you said a order a few of those disks and just include them with the windows xp disks. One more thing though. I already have just SP2 on a disk. Is it illegal to make copies of it? It is free right so would it be ok?

Just to let you guys know again, the COA's are all legal. The pic I posted was copied off of microsofts website like raven said. I didnt want to post a legal COA on here. I was just saying that thats what the ones i have look like to see if anyone could recognize if it is a SP1, SP1a, or SP2 COA.

If this is violating any forum rules then mods feel free to delete this thread. I just thought that some of the guys here could help me without having to call microsoft.

Last edited:
You will find this info on the actual Windows XP Home/Pro retail CD's, you will also find this info on OEM CD's that were purchased along with hardware, look closely at the holographic label on the CDs and it should say "Includes Service Pack 1/2".

Attachments

• cd_winXP_4_lg.jpg
    cd_winXP_4_lg.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I think your suppose to sell them with a case screw or something dumb like that to make it legal. :) NewEgg sells OEM stuff. No biggie. Just make sure its a generic OEM. I've had some OEM disks from Dell that wouldn't work on a HP box.

So is it illegal to burn a copy of just service pack 2 on a disk to send with the SP1 disks.

raven said:
I am curious why you would say that? That picture is taken directly from Microsoft's website and is used as an example of how the COA looks like.
Indeed. The example displayed on the Microsoft website is not of a valid COA.

It is legal to burn and distribute SP2. It would be different if you had to pay microsoft $40 for SP2. It's a free distribution. You can download the whole thing in it's entirety here

It is illegal to put SP2 on your website for distribution (ok to link, but not ok to host it) I may be wrong on this, but to me it would not make sense for it to be illegal to burn copies of it as long as you aren't selling it as a stand alone product. What I mean is selling sp2 on ebay by itself, without anything else.

Last edited:
Prot said:
It is legal to burn and distribute SP2. It would be different if you had to pay microsoft $40 for SP2. It's a free distribution. You can download the whole thing in it's entirety here

It is illegal to put SP2 on your website for distribution (ok to link, but not ok to host it) I may be wrong on this, but to me it would not make sense for it to be illegal to burn copies of it as long as you aren't selling it as a stand alone product. What I mean is selling sp2 on ebay by itself, without anything else.

Thanks man. Thats all i needed to know.

Back