• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SFF Water Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

so its summer, deciding if i should spend money on water cooling because my video card and other stuff cant handle the heat with this low of air flow.. its going into my Aspire X-Qpack, and if it doesnt fit :) it will go into my next purchase of my LianLi media center case.

anyways..

here's what i was thinking

Danger Den TDX Copper
Danger Den Black Ice Extreme Single 120mm Rad
Danger Den Acetal Maze4 nvidia gpu
Swiftech MCRES-1000P Pump/Res Combo
Panaflo 120mm Fan
Tubing/Fittings/Fluids

Everything is 1/2" except the Pump/Res Combo... now i need to use the combo because of my limited space :) unless im mistaken which im surely to be corrected if anyone has any other suggestions :)

so any suggestions?

I personally would go with 3/8" tubing. I used 3/8" in my Shuttle and it worked just fine with a mcp350, BIX, mcw6000, and a gpu block I made, and that gave me temps I could be happy with. If you really want to use 1/2" im sure you could pull it off in a case that big with little problems.

Why would you do 1/2" tubing, it doesn't give anymore flow than 3/8" because of the pump and the CPU block you are using, that block uses an accelerator nozzle, so thats enough restriction right there if im not mistaken. If you want to do a test, take about a 1 foot section of each tubing size, then put like a 1/4" orafice of anykind on the bottom then pour a cup of water down each tube, you'll see that they both empty out at the same time if under the same pressure, so gravity might have an effect on it. But what I'm getting at, is that parts of your system are already small, such as the radiator, I think that's 1/4" piping inside of it, and your loop is only as high flow as your smallest fitting. So go with 3/8".

Fr3@k3r said:
yeah i know, but 1/2 gives me max flow... now what kinda of fittings am i gonna need for the 1/4 to 1/2 on the pump/res to the tubing?

hmmm... ill decide on final tubing size later

Whatever you decide, stay away from 1/4" fittings because both that pump and the res it's attached to uses 3/8" barbs.

Arca_ex said:
Why would you do 1/2" tubing, it doesn't give anymore flow than 3/8" because of the pump and the CPU block you are using, that block uses an accelerator nozzle, so thats enough restriction right there if im not mistaken. If you want to do a test, take about a 1 foot section of each tubing size, then put like a 1/4" orafice of anykind on the bottom then pour a cup of water down each tube, you'll see that they both empty out at the same time if under the same pressure, so gravity might have an effect on it. But what I'm getting at, is that parts of your system are already small, such as the radiator, I think that's 1/4" piping inside of it, and your loop is only as high flow as your smallest fitting. So go with 3/8".

That may be but I have learned that 3/8" fittings have a lot of restriction that can prove a lot more detrimental to your flowrate than 1/2" ones.

Back