• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

Hi Guys
i have been toying with the idea of watercooling for sometime and and feel the time is getting close.
i have been looking around to see whats around in the pre installed market and found this. I would add 2x maze4 gpu blocks and a danger den cpu block
Would just like peoples views on wether it is any good or wether i should look into doing it DIY?

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/28_43/products_id/274

Set up:
AMD FX57@ 3.0GHZ
2 x GEFORCE XFX GTX7800
2 X 1GB CORSAIR 3500XL
2 X 74GB RAPTORS IN RAID0
ASUS A8N PREMIUM SLI
XFI SOUND CARD
CUSTOM rdSPRAYED WAVEMASTER CASE

Last edited:
Crazymilk said:
Hi Guys
i have been toying with the idea of watercooling for sometime and and feel the time is getting close.
i have been looking around to see whats around in the pre installed market and found this. I would add 2x maze4 gpu blocks and a danger den cpu block
Would just like peoples views on wether it is any good or wether i should look into doing it DIY?

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/28_43/products_id/274

Set up:
AMD FX57@ 3.0GHZ
2 x GEFORCE XFX GTX7800
2 X 1GB CORSAIR 3500XL
2 X 74GB RAPTORS IN RAID0
ASUS A8N PREMIUM SLI
CUSTOM SPRAYED WAVEMASTER CASE

:welcome:

You have a custom case already, no need to pay ~$600+ on a WC loop.

DIY would be far cheaper and way more effective. But you aren't really "Doing it yourself" because you have all of us here, to help you succeed!

Start here:http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=369416

A lot of proven and invaluable information to be gleaned. After that, read the first 2-3 pages in this section, and you will have a really good idea as to the whats, whys, and hows.

As always, ask sooner than later, good luck, and keep us posted.
</IMG>

Thanks so much for your help.
i am thinking that i will build the set up myself as i want the best performance possible(and i like a challange:confused: )

My only concern is the case i have (the coolermaster wavemaster) seems very tight with everything i have in there at the mo and am worried that i wont have the room for a rad/pump/res etc.ideally i would like to keep everthing internal and neat as poss
Should i think of buying a new case that is up to the job?

If you want to keep it internal, Depending on the size of Rad you plan on using a Lot of people seem to be using the Coolermaster stacker cases and or the ThermalTake Armor(which is what im going to be using). Most peopel that use these install the Rad in the bottom few 5 1/4" bays or at the very top of the case. Look around the forums there are plenty of pics around.

Infact here is a link to a wire management thread where several watercooling setups are pictured.http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=445933&highlight=wire+management

Ok right i think i am getting the short list down of what i need but wonder if somebody would be kind enough to answer a few questions i have.

1/ To cool my 2 GTX7800 and FX57 what size rad and fans(ie single/double80mm/120mm) would i need and also what diameter tubing should i use(I have concerns about the space between cards).?

2/ Do the fans cooling the rad need to have open airflow, i mean, can you mount the fans on a flat surface(without drilling holes).ie the top or botton of the case?

3/ Would i be able to house everything in a Lian Li V1000 case.(see above specs)and how much modding would need to be done to the case.

Thanks so much for your help guys, i am sure you get asked silly questions like these all the time but as you can appreciate i want to get this right.

1.double 120 at least (my opinion) 2. yes fans need holes cut for air flow. 3. yes but the amount of modding depends on placement.

thanks again

last thing

what is the best CPU block and GPU block to get??

Crazymilk said:
thanks again

last thing

what is the best CPU block and GPU block to get??

To answer that, we'll need to know what components you will be using in the rest of the loop. Seems like a silly answer, but it matters. :)

Ok

The swifttech 55 pump
swifttech dual 120mm rad(unless any better suggestions)
Danger Den Single bay reservoir
1/2 tubing

Hope that helps

learning curve said:
It would also help alot to know how much you have budgeted for your loop.

pretty much how ever much i need to spend to get the best i can and to make it as effecient as possible.

also i see the 7/16 tubing on the 1/2 barbs is the way to go?

Crazymilk said:
pretty much how ever much i need to spend to get the best i can and to make it as effecient as possible.

also i see the 7/16 tubing on the 1/2 barbs is the way to go?

CPU: Swiftech Apogee (Storm if you want the very best, kind of pricey for its advantage over the apogee)

GPU: danger den maze 4 with heatsinks for mem

And a lot of people swear by the 7/16"ID tubing heated and used with 1/2" barbs.

Note: When choosing the rad, get the largest you can fit in the space you have allotted.

Black Ice, Thermochill, Heater core. <~~ These are the most popular.

Dice said:
CPU: Swiftech Apogee (Storm if you want the very best, kind of pricey for its advantage over the apogee)

GPU: danger den maze 4 with heatsinks for mem

And a lot of people swear by the 7/16"ID tubing heated and used with 1/2" barbs.

Note: When choosing the rad, get the largest you can fit in the space you have allotted.

Black Ice, Thermochill, Heater core. <~~ These are the most popular.
I perfer the storm personally. black ice extreme X-flow for high cfm fanage or pro X-flow or thermochill PA series for lower cfm fans. DD D5 aka mcp 655 for a pump or iwaki rlzt 20 if you want a ac pump. The rest looks real good.

Last edited:
That is a great help guys thank you so much. i have now got my shopping list together and am ordering everthing today. Then the hard work starts and have to plan the instalation.
last things i promise

How oftern will i have to change the coolant in the system? would it be best to included a fill port in the loop using a T connector and use that?

What coolant should i use and do i nedd to add anything to it? ( i would like it to be UV reative.)

What is the best way to link the loop, ie from the pump to the rad then through the hardware then to the res etc?
and finally
is it best to rig everthing up first and power it up by jumping the PSU before installing any hardware to make sure it doesnt leak?

Crazymilk said:
That is a great help guys thank you so much. i have now got my shopping list together and am ordering everthing today. Then the hard work starts and have to plan the instalation.
last things i promise

Happy to help.

How oftern will i have to change the coolant in the system? would it be best to included a fill port in the loop using a T connector and use that?

What coolant should i use and do i nedd to add anything to it? ( i would like it to be UV reative.)

What is the best way to link the loop, ie from the pump to the rad then through the hardware then to the res etc?
and finally
is it best to rig everthing up first and power it up by jumping the PSU before installing any hardware to make sure it doesnt leak?

Honestly, most of these things have been debated many times. Each of these questions have decent answers. I'd suggest searching the forum and, after reading the arguments for the varying sides, making up your own mind.

However, two things stand out as universal:

(1) Whether you use the reservoir or the T-line, make sure that they come just before the pump in the loop order. Ex. Res or t-line>Pump>radiator>Block(s)>res.

(2) It is an incredibly good idea to leak-test your loop! Jumping the PSU is a fine way to do it. Some like to do it after all the parts are inside and installed, others like to do it "At the kitchen table" if you know what I mean. Both methods have their benefits. Whichever you choose, do it for 12-24 hours as this is your first time. :)

I like the blackice pro X-flow. Single pass has barbs on each endtank coolant flows through the rad 1 time. A dual pass has both barbs on one end, coolant flows in the inlet barb passes to the other endtank at the bottom then back up the rad and exits out the outlet. Do a search in the watercooling stickies for alot more rad info.

Back