• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Web server software suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coin

I am in the process of putting together a web server and I need some suggestions for software. It all needs to be freeware and to run under Windows (my unix knowledge is not good enough and I dont have time to learn right now)
I need software for:
web server (must be able to use some form of user authentication)
photo gallery
diary

Any suggestions welcome but please remember the software must meet the requirements of free and windows compatible

Thanks

Apache + MySql + php =
web server (must be able to use some form of user authentication)
photo gallery
diary

I should also mention that the software needs to be easy to use, my previous website creating knowledge would fit on an old modem chip :)

Once you set up the Apache and MySql. You can use a CMS to handle the rest.

A simple Apache setup and some HTML using .htaccess can be a good way to do it to. The first route would be easier in the long run since a CMS is pretty much just add text and content.

I will have to agree with EnablingWolf on this. Apache is suppicingly easy. But if you are going to be setting this all up you really should look into setting it up in linux. I have a webserver setup running Ubuntu server and it took all of 30 minutes to get up and running. But really once you get the server portion up and running its just a matter of writing the pages and putting them in their place.

I agree with all of the above, a Linux (Ubuntu/Debian) and Apache setup should do a great job. If you want a little more functionality, add MySQL and PHP, then you will have a LAMP system. :)

Would WAMP or XAMPP be a good pick? If he chooses not to utilize Linux and the benifits it offers as a server.

khiloa said:
I agree with all of the above, a Linux (Ubuntu/Debian) and Apache setup should do a great job. If you want a little more functionality, add MySQL and PHP, then you will have a LAMP system. :)

LAMP is great and so easy to setup and maintain especially in a Debian based environment. Updates are cake especially in Ubuntu because you dont need to worry about having a Root password you just use SUDO so no worrying about screwing something up and having to start over if you play it smart. Also if you follow the many Tutorials for setting up FTP on a Ubuntu it would be so much better then windows in my opinion.

Enablingwolf said:
Would WAMP or XAMPP be a good pick? If he chooses not to utilize Linux and the benifits it offers as a server.

WAMP is definately a viable solution and IMHO is easier and more secure then IIS. Easier especially in the implementation of MySQL and PHP

As much as I would like to go down the Linux route for stability and performance I just dont have the skills to look after a Linux box nor the time to learn :(
At the moment I am considering using gallery2 with Apache and MySQL and PHP
All I need now is some diary software / blog (- can't stand that word!) to go with it.
Ease of use is what I need, if I had the time I would learn how to build the pages myself but I just don't have that luxury.

Thanks for all your answers so far, they are helping :)

If you don't want to make pages manually. Check this place out. It is full of content manager systems.

http://opensourcecms.com/

You can try them out before you implement them and see if they suite your needs. They are very easy to get going.

brilliant thanks, should be able to find something simple enough for me to manage :)

If you are looking for a windows based solution, look into Netserver (a compilation of easily configurable servers like FTP, mail, HTTP, PHP, MYSQL, etc) or apache triad. These have worked for me in the past, but I set them up manually now.

I may have to look at a prebuilt route as i am having major headaches getting PHP to work properly, I can't get it to open PHP scripts in explorer :S
I have double checked the install guides for all software but I must have missed something. Apache happily reports that PHP is running as a module but I cannot get explorer and PHP to work together

PS running XP Pro with Apache 2.2.2, PHP 5.1.4 and trying to install Gallery 2

woo hoo, another bridge crossed albeit across broken glass :)
Finally manged to get gallery 2 install page to appear by ignoring the install instructions and opening it directly through explorer :)

Back