• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lock certain registry entries but not the whole registry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vampiregabe

Ok. Say I have a program that, and in normal operation the user can change a setting of that program. The program stores the settings in the registry, and because I use an administrator account, when the setting changes in the program, it changes in the registry.

Is there a way to lock certain (one or two) keys in the registry but not the whole registry. I don't want my settings changed for a few programs by other people using my computer. It is very annoying to have to go and change 3-4 different settings every time you want to use the computer.

I know you can use different user accounts, but is there any other way? I don't want my settings changed, but I don't want to lock the whole registry down. Also I don't want some stupid pop-up every time something tries to change the registry entry.

Thanks for the help.

Vampiregabe said:
Is there a way to lock certain (one or two) keys in the registry but not the whole registry
I can't say as I've ever heard of anyone wanting to do this, at least not for the reason you specified, but to answer your question... Yes, as Administrator (or a user with administrative priveleges) you can set permissions on whatever program specific keys you'd like. You would only need to right click the key(s) and select "Permissions"--> "Advanced" button, where you can then set up Advanced Security Settings for those particular keys.

Vampiregabe said:
Is there a way to lock certain (one or two) keys in the registry but not the whole registry.
Answer depends on the operating system.

Answer for NT 5.0 pr higher is yes.

Back