• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mk11232

Registered
Hello everyone. Sorry this is a semi multiparter

After long weeks of reserach I think I'm ready to build my first wc rig. Until now I've always build my computers with air coolers, Big Typhoon rocks, but on my new computer I want to do complete water cooling. I'm switching over because of noise, heat problems, and I want to safely tinker with oc'ing later on.

Heres the stuff going into my new computer:

Pent. D 950 (the 3.4 GHz dual core)
Asus P5WD2-E Premium motherboard (for crossfire)
Sapphire x1900 xtx
Cosair XMS 2x1024 DDR2 800 RAM (5-5-5-12 seetings)
SoundBlaster Fatl1ty (imported from current computer)
WD HDD SATA 250GiG 72000 (imported from current computer)
DVD R/W drive, IDE (imported from current computer)
CD R/W drive, IDE (imported form current computer)
620 W AeroCool ZERODBA PSU
new case: Thermaltake Eureka, need something bigger w/ pics here I'm going with this case because I like it, its much bigger than my current case, and if you look at the specs and pics it has predrilled holes for water cooling

I was going to buy each wc piece by itself but I got quickly confused. So after looking around I've decided to go with the Swifttech H20-220 Apex Ultra+. I want to wc my processer and gpu and this kit seems to have all the pieces necessary. I checked with compatability and swiftech indicates that all pieces will be compatbable with what i'm looking to do.

My first question: the kit comes with a nortbridge cooler. The asus motherboard comes with a default heatsink and supposedly built in cooler channels. I don't really want to mess with it and I've heard that 3 water blocks degrades wc performance. Is northbridge cooling actually worth it?

My second question: I will be installing the rad on the case back outside. With this radi, would it matter if i turneed it around so the plugs are facing out. Then I want to loop the pipes down through the lower case holes. Or is it better to keep the plugs as default, and drill holes in the case (which I don't really want to do)?

My thrid question: I will be wc'ing the GPU but I've read many times that the swiftech heatpads suck, whats a good replacement for these. I've seen some discussion about some kind of putty but I"m not sure what that is.

My fourth question: everyone says you must leak test your rig. Does that mean turnning on the moter and letting the water flow and if so, how do you get the power supply to turn on without the board?

Finally: this is not a question but more of a seek of reassurance that this is all reasonable. If anyone sees any flaws in what I'm planning on putting together please tell me. I'm pretty sure all the parts will work together and I'm pretty excited to get it all ordered and here. And thanks for all the helpful discussions on the threads.

mk11232 said:
Hello everyone. Sorry this is a semi multiparter

After long weeks of reserach I think I'm ready to build my first wc rig. Until now I've always build my computers with air coolers, Big Typhoon rocks, but on my new computer I want to do complete water cooling. I'm switching over because of noise, heat problems, and I want to safely tinker with oc'ing later on.

:welcome: There's no turning back now :)
Heres the stuff going into my new computer:

Pent. D 950 (the 3.4 GHz dual core)
Asus P5WD2-E Premium motherboard (for crossfire)
Sapphire x1900 xtx
Cosair XMS 2x1024 DDR2 800 RAM (5-5-5-12 seetings)
SoundBlaster Fatl1ty (imported from current computer)
WD HDD SATA 250GiG 72000 (imported from current computer)
DVD R/W drive, IDE (imported from current computer)
CD R/W drive, IDE (imported form current computer)
620 W AeroCool ZERODBA PSU
new case: Thermaltake Eureka, need something bigger w/ pics here I'm going with this case because I like it, its much bigger than my current case, and if you look at the specs and pics it has predrilled holes for water cooling

Nice rig...

I was going to buy each wc piece by itself but I got quickly confused. So after looking around I've decided to go with the Swifttech H20-220 Apex Ultra+. I want to wc my processer and gpu and this kit seems to have all the pieces necessary. I checked with compatability and swiftech indicates that all pieces will be compatbable with what i'm looking to do.

Looking good so far....

My first question: the kit comes with a nortbridge cooler. The asus motherboard comes with a default heatsink and supposedly built in cooler channels. I don't really want to mess with it and I've heard that 3 water blocks degrades wc performance. Is northbridge cooling actually worth it?

Now, there are two schools on this issue. You will be getting the NB cooler with the 'kit', so try it with then without and see which you prefer.

My second question: I will be installing the rad on the case back outside. With this radi, would it matter if i turneed it around so the plugs are facing out. Then I want to loop the pipes down through the lower case holes. Or is it better to keep the plugs as default, and drill holes in the case (which I don't really want to do)?

It works both ways. Just keep a watchful eye on tubing bends to keep them from crimping or flatening out.

My thrid question: I will be wc'ing the GPU but I've read many times that the swiftech heatpads suck, whats a good replacement for these. I've seen some discussion about some kind of putty but I"m not sure what that is.

You will want to use Artic Silver 5. Nothing is better at present.
This is the instructions and precautions page from Arctic Silver Inc

My fourth question: everyone says you must leak test your rig. Does that mean turnning on the moter and letting the water flow and if so, how do you get the power supply to turn on without the board?

A good leaktest guide can be found here.

Finally: this is not a question but more of a seek of reassurance that this is all reasonable. If anyone sees any flaws in what I'm planning on putting together please tell me. I'm pretty sure all the parts will work together and I'm pretty excited to get it all ordered and here. And thanks for all the helpful discussions on the threads.

I can see that you have done most of your homework and seem ready to proceed.

You can do this. If you have any doubts or questions, hop on here and ask. We'll help you do this. If you have a camera, take pics as you go and make another thread when done to show your work and you'll likely attract many more people with many more hints.

Speaking of hints:

Measure twice, cut once.
Take your time.
The reservoir feeds the inlet of the pump, and is the highest point of the loop.
Keep tubing lengths as short as possible, but not to the point of kinking them.
Fans work better if drawing the air through the rad as opposed to pushing it through... and push-pull is even better.:)
Don't run the pump dry. Ever. Not even to test it.
Have fun. :)

Thanks for the reply and links, they helped out. Once I get everything in and ready, I'll post pics as I go. one last question, is the resevor supposed to be at the higestpoint in the case, or can it be placed at the bottom. You seemed to say that it was the higestpoint in the loop and I take that the mean litterally the higestpoint.

mk11232 said:
Thanks for the reply and links, they helped out. Once I get everything in and ready, I'll post pics as I go. one last question, is the resevor supposed to be at the higestpoint in the case, or can it be placed at the bottom. You seemed to say that it was the higestpoint in the loop and I take that the mean litterally the higestpoint.

Yeah, highest point.

Back