• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista and DX10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to play DX9 games with DX10 and Vista. If that's not what you meant, I don't understand the question.

Yes, you will be able to play DX9 games in Vista/DX10 but at the cost of system resources. The backward compatability will be handled through a software layer.

Last edited:
Oh, I must have misread your question, sorry. At this point, I believe there will be no DX10 for XP. Microsoft needs to give you a reason to upgrade to Vista, and DX10 is perfect for this purpose.

That means that you're required to have a higher processor clock speed for your DirectX9 and earlier games than with previous versions of Windows!! :(

dreamtfk said:
What I'm asking is will DX10 be able to run on XP?
Oops - I misread too. Anyway, in short: No :mad:

From an article I read the other day on [H]Enthusiast:
DirectX 10 will be available to Windows Vista users only at its introduction. You will not find DirectX 10 being released for the Windows XP operating system. DirectX 10 is deeply embedded into Windows Vista operation and we currently know of no plans by Microsoft to allow Windows XP to officially support the new API. Also embedded into Windows Vista is DirectX 9.0L to allow for compatibility with DirectX 9 components. Think of it like two separate DirectX systems. We will have DirectX 9.0L for DirectX 9 hardware and we will have DirectX 10 for DirectX 10 capable hardware. If you want DirectX 10 you will have to go with Windows Vista as your OS. Because of this we will see an expensive upgrade path associated with the experience of DirectX 10. You will need Windows Vista, DirectX 10 hardware and of course some DirectX 10 coded games.
Link: DirectX 10 & the Future of Gaming

Last edited:
RJARRRPCGP said:
That means that you're required to have a higher processor clock speed for your DirectX9 and earlier games than with previous versions of Windows!! :(

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my statement.

Supposedly DX10 is going to do more to reduce CPU utilization & increase graphics card power. DirectX9.L (DX9 for Vista) will add some overhead but the optimizations of the DX10 API should more than make up for that.

In theory, DX9 dependant apps should, when the drivers are well optimized, run faster under the Vista driver model than in XP.

Guess we'll have to wait and let the benchmarks speak for themselves...

TechLife said:
DirectX 10 will be available to Windows Vista users only at its introduction. You will not find DirectX 10 being released for the Windows XP operating system. DirectX 10 is deeply embedded into Windows Vista operation and we currently know of no plans by Microsoft to allow Windows XP to officially support the new API. Also embedded into Windows Vista is DirectX 9.0L to allow for compatibility with DirectX 9 components. Think of it like two separate DirectX systems. We will have DirectX 9.0L for DirectX 9 hardware and we will have DirectX 10 for DirectX 10 capable hardware. If you want DirectX 10 you will have to go with Windows Vista as your OS. Because of this we will see an expensive upgrade path associated with the experience of DirectX 10. You will need Windows Vista, DirectX 10 hardware and of course some DirectX 10 coded games.

Well, there's their trump card for "why do we need Vista?" I wonder if the game companies and graphics card makers will jump all over DX10.

Given the situation, how long do you think it will take before a decent DX10 game hits the market? Unless there are dev kits out now (dont know if there are), then I wouldn't expect a decent game to be done with the DX10 API to come out for a year or two. Which is plenty of time to save for the upgrade (maybe :/ ).

If they have already started designing our future games with DX10, then alot of people are gonna be :mad:

Rydis said:
Given the situation, how long do you think it will take before a decent DX10 game hits the market? Unless there are dev kits out now (dont know if there are), then I wouldn't expect a decent game to be done with the DX10 API to come out for a year or two. Which is plenty of time to save for the upgrade (maybe :/ ).

If they have already started designing our future games with DX10, then alot of people are gonna be :mad:

I do beleive DX10 is already available to a select group of developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if some already do. There is plenty of buzz around the net that there are already a few games in development. ...

The official word is that the developers wil be receiving it when Beta 2 drops...which, as rumor has it, is next week.

RJARRRPCGP said:
Then again everybody could tell Mr. bill to get stuffed...

Back