• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding a legal disclaimer to all outgoing e-mail, with exchange server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

I referenced these M$ articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317327
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317680

I ended up building the vbs script, because it was much easier. I didn't read the very end until after it was all built though. Apparently this M$ 'knowledge' base fix only doesn't work with Outlook.

The thing is we have about 30 users at work, and need to add a legal disclaimer to all outgoing e-mail.

Our setup:
Windows server 2003, Exchange server 2003, Outlook 2003 on all clients. I don't understand why microsoft bothers to engineer a solution at all, that will work with most software, BUT THEIR OWN. I am trying to find a way to do this without having to use third party software, and it seems as though there should be a solution, M$ says it will work with smtp e-mail clients only, not MAPI, which outlook is. Any ideas?

The following KB article may be of some help to you...

You cannot modify MAPI messages that are trapped in an SMTP transport event sink
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;273233
"To resolve this problem, force all incoming messages to be in SMTP format. To do this, install the event sink on a border server that is separate from your regular mailbox and gateway servers in your organization. Because Exchange 2000 servers communicate with each other through SMTP, all incoming messages to a border server should be in SMTP format."

you could place a legal disclaimer into all users' signatures and force them to use signatures. this would be time consuming though since you'd have to set that up on all of their workstations, but it would work.

Hrmmm thx for the advice. redduc900, the thing I don't get is how to set that up, it is a small office, about 30 'users' total, and we only have 1 server, running win2k3, and exchange on the same box. There is a fax server too, but it is rather old. Would we have to install exchange on the other server, too, or instead of?

It says exchange serverS communicate, but I don't really understand how this would all have to be routed.

Benbaked, I like that idea, and I'll pass it along to my boss, I think they want it enforced for everyone though, and most of the people at my job don't know how to use computers; so I think it will be too difficult for them.

We've got automatic signatures at work. It's pulled from AD to show the users name/title/number on all outgoing e-mails. (but not internal) You could probably set up something similiar to attatch a disclaimer as a signature on all outgoing e-mails. Not sure how to set it up, but that would definitly work.

Well, thanks for the input guys. We decided to go with exclaimer (a very NOT freeware version, but I didn't foot the bill so, hey). I guess if we would have had 2 mail servers (a border server, and a mailbox server) then the M$ knowledgebase articles would have worked.

Redwraith94

Back