• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Icedfire101

ok tomorrow I will be getting my PA 120.1 I am going to put inside my main rig and take the water-cooling out of my server (look at sig)... so the system is going to be mcp 600 pump, swiftech storm, and PA 120.1...

Now I want it to be silent but I also want to overclock it so I am planning on putting 2 fans on the rad, the panaflo will be on a switch so that when I play games I will turn it on but when I m just study or want it quite I will turn the panaflo off just have the vantec stealth on (and since I have cool and quite on hopefully it will do fine),

so the question is how to setup the fans... it will be on the back of my case sucking hot air out of the case (can't be helped) so what do you guys think will be the best configuration?

setup26jy.jpg

while i understand what you are trying to do it might just be a lot easyer to make a sound reducing encloser just for oyur cooling and use the panaflos on a rheo and the vantecs for your case exhuast.

it will add tubing length a little but you can reduce the sound a lot with a well designed outer box. cheep materials such as foam (open cell) and carpeting ( several layers of thick shag) can really reduce noise . just a thought.

otherwise you want to use either the picture to the far right or the one next to it

If you want performance, you should go with option 2, because there would be more pressure on the rad from the more powerfull fan, but if you turned it off and had only one doing pull, that would kill your temps. So option 1 is the most logical for what you want to do, having 2 fans on top of each other is pointless, because the more powerful one will be having to work harder to make the weak one go faster.

thorilan said:
while i understand what you are trying to do it might just be a lot easyer to make a sound reducing encloser just for oyur cooling and use the panaflos on a rheo and the vantecs for your case exhuast.

it will add tubing length a little but you can reduce the sound a lot with a well designed outer box. cheep materials such as foam (open cell) and carpeting ( several layers of thick shag) can really reduce noise . just a thought.

otherwise you want to use either the picture to the far right or the one next to it

external box is out of the question... if i wanted and external box i would have gone for the 120.3

and i already have a rhue on the panaflo but there is still enough noise to distract (the next step would for me to build a pwm) me from studing (what can i say i am anal about noise when i m studing cause most the time i studing really boring and anything will distract me)

and thanks for the input guys, i think i m going to start with option one and if i have some time i ll try option 2

also maybe if i do option 1 i ll make it so that it is a spacer next to the vantec inside of being covered all the way around this way the panaflo will be able to draw air in beside through the vantec... oh and my case is really postivily charged with air with the other 3 fans so i don't think losing the sides of a shroud would hurt to much...

pulling through a rad is much better than pushing through due to leading edge rebound . you want the stronger one to pull through the most restriction but since you will always have 1 fan that is either dealing with total restriction from pulling or partial restricction from pull partial from pushing through another fan you will be best served going with one of the last 2 options

thorilan said:
pulling through a rad is much better than pushing through due to leading edge rebound . you want the stronger one to pull through the most restriction but since you will always have 1 fan that is either dealing with total restriction from pulling or partial restricction from pull partial from pushing through another fan you will be best served going with one of the last 2 options

and the plot thickens...

well atleast we have taken away a third of the options...

i guess the question comes down to is it harder on the vantec to pull through the panaflo or to push through it

Last edited:
Update:

ok i decided just to go with option one;
before (the system still in my sig) i got load temps of 120 F with my 3500 at stock, now i get load temps of 96 F with it at 11x240 @1.55 volts (with both fans on and 104 F with just the vantec on) (ambient is 73 F at all times)

here is my system on the work bench
(the back goes panaflo-PA120.1-shroud-vantec-swiftech radbox)
(lucky enough for me with all the hardware i got i had enough screws/bolts to mount the 2 fans that i didn't need to make a trip to Home depot)
pict002large9ud.jpg

heres my system installed... notice the red switch that lights up when i turn on the panaflo
pict0012large9hs.jpg

Last edited:
Back