• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling in New Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruff_ilb

Registered
When the AM2 socket comes out, I'm going to put together a new system to the tune of a $2k budget for the entire system, minus a PSU (I already have one).

I'm going to get a case that looks like This, or at least with the same internal setup.

Given my budget, and given the case, I have two questions.

1: Should I even go with water cooling at all? Will it be worth it for my build? I'm aiming for a combination of silence and performance, and I've had cooling issues with my computer in the past. Also, I'd like to try something different and fun... I've never tried water cooling before.

2. If I should be going with water cooling, how should I set it up? I've read a few guides and reviews, and I came up with a few ideas, but I don't really know that much, despite the research I've done so far. I'd like to not spend too much, preferably under $250 for a complete setup, but I'd also like to have a setup that performs well, lasts me a long time, and is quiet.

Here's what I've been looking at:

Dual 80mm fan radiator - $36

Evercool 80mm case fan x2 - $10 ea.

Danger Den Maze 4 Acetal GPU water block x2 - $44 ea.

AX 50Z-DC12 Mag Drive Inline Pump - $75

AX MP-05 Pro LE CPU Water Block - $65

High Density Polyethylene Bay Reservoir - $10

Throw in another 15$ for misc accessories I'm forgetting, like tubing and clamps.

Water cooling total:

~$310

Thoughts:

Although the 80mmx2 radiator should fit quite nicely inside my case without any sort of modification, it seemed like the one to pick (I don't want to cut up that case). Howevever, I'm worried about its being too hot - i.e, not dumping enough heat outside the case. I don't really have that many options for radiators though, it seems.

Also, I don't really know what sort of fans would be best for the setup. Obviously, quiet is better, but with such a small radiator setup, I'm guessing I'd need lots of air pushing through there. Silent is the goal.

That pump said that you shouldn't use addatives with it... but since this is my first time using water cooling, I'd probably want to use a nonconductive solution... would such a solution work with the pump?

Thanks for your input!

Ruff_ilb

you'll want a 2x120mm rad for sure. They aren't too expensive, and you'll only need to drill 2 holes minimum to mount it externally. a pump,go for a DDC or D5, tubing go with clearflex. blocks, apogee and maze4. that should be well under 250 if you get it all used (my loop, D4, 2x120rad, maze4GPU, dtekWW, all under $150 total).

Fans, i'd suggest panaflo's.

That looks like a pretty nice idea, actually. I don't know how it would really fit on my case, but I'll figure it out. Not drilling any holes appeals to me immensely.

I've also heard that bay res's like the one I picked out are noisy, somehow. Can anyone confirm or deny this assertion?

Also, where's a reputable place to get good used components?

Ruff_ilb said:
I've also heard that bay res's like the one I picked out are noisy, somehow. Can anyone confirm or deny this assertion?

the only thing i have heard is that if the res is to small and the pump is to powerful the pump will suck in so much water that the res will gergal and also cause cavitation... but i prefer the t-line myself, in my opinion a good t-line is just as easy as a res if you do it right

A t-line is just like a 2-way valve that you use to fill up the whole setup, right?

Sounds good - and a lot cheaper than a res, too... probably.

I'd stick t-line for simplicity of installation. place it at the input of the pump, and then the last itme in the loop goes into the other end of the t-line. the top of the t-line goes to an open end of tubing where you fill the system, either via syringe (my preference), or a funnel.

i forgot about that, icedfire. I HIGHLY reccommend using the radbox, it'll let you have the benefit of using a 2x120mm rad with no modding. All you'll need is a little room behind your case. Plus, deoending on your rig, it will be fairly easy to route tubing. If you have cpu + gpu, i'd reccommend going pump->gpu->rad->cpu->pump, if i have the right image in my head :D

Good luck man. Parts can be cheap if you know where to look for 'em ;D

this how i generaly setup my watercooling

normalcase2do.jpg

now when i want to fill the loop i turn it upside down

fillingcase9vd.jpg

Oh, and when it says 1/2" on a product, that means 1/2" ID, right?

Can either of you recommend a good place to buy all of this stuff? I'm having a hard time finding that radbox... froogle's doing an OK job, but at this rate, I'd be buying from a billion different sellers.

I've heard that frozencpu.com is way too expensive... but I'll look at it, for sure.

What exactly does a shroud do? Is it necessary for a radiator such as the Black Ice Pro II Dual 120mm Radiator, which I'm looking at now?

Thanks for all your help guys!

radbox here - http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-mcb120-kit-black.html

yes 1/2" is for 1/2" ID tubing. the barbs are 1/2" inside diameter.

I'd recommend 7/16" tubing and fit them over the 1/2" barbs. 1/2"IDx3/4"OD tubing was a pain to work with. I'm really glad I went 7/16" this time around.

you don't have to turn your pc upside down. it will bleed out eventually when run rightside up...ah, but I see that in doing so, it'll bleed much faster..nice!

Last edited:
Ruff_ilb said:
What exactly does a shroud do?

the shroud has nothing to do with the radiator it is actually for the fans if you put a fan right next to the rad then there will be no air being pushed through where the motor is but if you make atleast and inch between the two then you will fill that whole left by the motor... hope that makes sense

I'm operating under the assumption that either it will, or it can be adapted easily to, or that swiftech will release an equivalent model with the AM2 release.

Ruff_ilb said:
I'm operating under the assumption that either it will, or it can be adapted easily to, or that swiftech will release an equivalent model with the AM2 release.

the worst case scenario is that you have to buy and adaptor plate...

Back