• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCW6002 waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silmatharien

I currently have the stepped (athlon XP) version of this block but there's also a flat version used for A64, Opterons, etc. I'm upgrading very very soon and don't really want to rebuy my waterblock. So my questoin is this: Can you use the stepped version with socket 939 processors? I sort of thought you could since the die is in the centre of the CPU anyway and the IHS on the Opterons doesn't do much for heat dissipation anyway.

Silmatharien said:
I currently have the stepped (athlon XP) version of this block but there's also a flat version used for A64, Opterons, etc. I'm upgrading very very soon and don't really want to rebuy my waterblock. So my questoin is this: Can you use the stepped version with socket 939 processors? I sort of thought you could since the die is in the centre of the CPU anyway and the IHS on the Opterons doesn't do much for heat dissipation anyway.

I do not see why not. You will need Swiftech's 'mounting' hardware, however.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw6002.asp At the bottom you'll find them for 10 bucks.

I am sure you know that this model has been discontinued, right?

BTW, where did you get that Corsair Hyper-X memory from? Kingston made the Hyper-x I have on my board....

Edit typo.

Last edited:
Dice said:
I do not see why not. You will need Swiftech's maunting hardware, however.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw6002.asp At the bottom you'll find them for 10 bucks.

I am sure you know that this model has been discontinued, right?

BTW, where did you get that Corsair Hyper-X memory from? Kingston made the Hyper-x I have on my board....
I bought it a few years ago when I did an upgrade. I just bought it at a local shop.

Silmatharien said:
I bought it a few years ago when I did an upgrade. I just bought it at a local shop.

I'd have never have believed it. You would think that Kingston would file a complaint against Corsair for trademark infringement. One company using another's industrial property like that is good cause for a lawsuit. It was a bad call on Corsair's part to do something so blatantly unlawful...

That, or you are perhaps mistaken about what brand of memory you recently purchased...

Dice said:
I'd have never have believed it. You would think that Kingston would file a complaint against Corsair for trademark infringement. One company using another's industrial property like that is good cause for a lawsuit. It was a bad call on Corsair's part to do something so blatantly unlawful...

That, or you are perhaps mistaken about what brand of memory you recently purchased...

yeah, it is TwinX. I hadn't looked at my RAM in ages and now that I do, it says TwinX. my mistake

Ok. At any rate, I hope you have found the link to swiftech helpful. The mounting hardware is but $5 -s/h. If it works, let us know? :) Good luck.

Dice said:
Ok. At any rate, I hope you have found the link to swiftech helpful. The mounting hardware is but $5 -s/h. If it works, let us know? :) Good luck.

thanks. I actually emailed Swiftech and they said it should work and there will be some loss but they haven't actually quantified the difference it makes (I bet next to none).

Back