• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you do with a used and abused mcw5000..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VballCoach

here's a pic of said mcw5000
abused%20mcw5000.jpg

and here's what I plan to do...make a poormans wannabe Apogee...

apogeewannabe.jpg

apogeesetup.jpg

apogeebarbs.jpg

Looking at the inside of the mcw5000 confirmed my suspicion of using non-like metals in a loop. thank goodness this wasn't in mine. It's all pitted up and the anodizing is going away. At first I thought someone took a screwdriver to the inside but then I remembered looking at pics of a block that had this same thing.

anyways, this is more of just a fun thing to do..not many of us are DIY'ing any more. I think it would be perform pretty good if the base was milled to 3mm like the Apogee.

:)

well i guess it is better then what i did with mine (which was stuck it in my closet...)

should be interesting to see how it comes out

im curious about this too. i have a mcw5000 that is totally useless as it is. keep up the good work ^^

here's some update pics -
wb%20apogee%20001.jpg

wb%20apogee%20002.jpg

wb%20apogee%20004.jpg

wb%20apogee%20005.jpg

wb%20apogee%20007.jpg

ok. so now I've got the top done. I was wondering if I should copy the original and tap the top so the bottom plate can be removable? Anyone suggest something for a gasket? Or should I just solder the bottom plate and be done with it?

suggestions?

Go ahead and solder it. It'll be just fine. My suggestion though would be to add four holes to the corners of your waterblock's mounting plate so that you can update its mounting mechanism in the future.

Moto7451 said:
Go ahead and solder it. It'll be just fine. My suggestion though would be to add four holes to the corners of your waterblock's mounting plate so that you can update its mounting mechanism in the future.

the mounting plate comes off - the silver plate is an A64 mount. the allen head screws are removable so I can get a Swiftech mount for future applications...although I'd probably make my own.

so I'll solder it then.

The base is 6mm thick. I know the Apogee is 3mm thick. Wondering if I should see about getting 3mm milled off of it... I wonder if it will help temps/performance.

VballCoach said:
the mounting plate comes off - the silver plate is an A64 mount. the allen head screws are removable so I can get a Swiftech mount for future applications...although I'd probably make my own.

so I'll solder it then.

The base is 6mm thick. I know the Apogee is 3mm thick. Wondering if I should see about getting 3mm milled off of it... I wonder if it will help temps/performance.

You should sent it off and see how it does vs. the 3mm ones on a test bed.

very nice...i dont know why they didnt add a solid wall in the middle of that block to seperate the two channels flowing in and out.It makes sense to me to do that so that your not sucking up water as soon as it flow into the block...at least with a solid wall(except with flow holes), you force the water to circulate the entire area of the block.I guess it doesnt matter when they solder brass in a water block :(

I'd rather go with an all brass air-cooled HS than a mixed-metal water block :(

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
very nice...i dont know why they didnt add a solid wall in the middle of that block to seperate the two channels flowing in and out.It makes sense to me to do that so that your not sucking up water as soon as it flow into the block...at least with a solid wall(except with flow holes), you force the water to circulate the entire area of the block.I guess it doesnt matter when they solder brass in a water block :(

I'd rather go with an all brass air-cooled HS than a mixed-metal water block :(

you mean all copper air-cooled hs, right?

Back