• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who can answer this question...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Why is it that when I run a malware scan like with ewido, then check memory usage for each program in the taskbar, and they dramatically decrease a lot? I mean, lets say I have to running processes at about 15 MB each, total 30 MB, then after the scan they go to about 5 MB each, 10 MB total. That is 20 MB's that got free after a scan. Why does that happen? Is there a memory management software that can do that on a permenent basis, cause I sure haven't seen any. This really works to free memory, if my memory is at about 590 MB free, then I run a scan, it goes up to about 710 MB.

dja2k

windows pages out currently unneeded stuff in memory to your pagefile. that decreases the memory currently used by those programs. But when you switch back to them and actually work with them, it will reload from pagefile. What you are seeing in taskmanager is the current working set of used memory, not virtual memory size or an accurate and meaningful display of memory usage

Back