• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan cfm for BIX and BIP respectivly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soloz2

alright, I know that the BIP rads work best with low cfm fans and the BIX's work best with high cfm 38mm thick fans.... but what ranges work best? what is the cutoff? and don't many people who get high cfm fans just put them on a fan controller so they are quieter?

I'm looking at a BIPIII or a BIXIII and I have 3 Panaflo FBA120G12M med speed 120x38mm fans. they are rated for 86.5cfm. now, is this enough for the BIX?

i also have the chance to get some yate loons. the person who I would get the BIX from actually used yate loons on it. I didn't think yate loons worked well on the BIX, but they are great for the BIP.

So, if I want a system that will have maximum performance at a quiet to medium sound level what is the best route?

BIP=<80cfm fans
BIX=>80cfm fans

I have sanyo denki's(109R1212H101) on my BIXII and I have them hooked up to a sunbeam rheobus. I don't think this setup is too loud, but if quiet is your main concern I'd go w/ BIP and <80cfm fans or a fan that scales well at ~5v on a rehobus. If you are running low voltage to the fans be sure to check them when you restart/turn on your PC because they may not start below a certain voltage.

I would think that those panaflos would be ok for the BIX ....but at full 12v I would think they are a little bit loud.... I would personally undervolt them (either with a wire adapter to run them at 7v or 5v, or use a fan controller which you can get pretty cheap) and then use them on a BIP. I don't know any official numbers so I'm just guessing here, but I doubt that there is a serious enough difference between the two to warrant much louder fans.

I would think that for max performance but quiet to med sound, use your panaflos on a BIP.

hmm... so the BIX would be better w/ my Panaflos. that's what I was thinking.l When I bought them I thought they were the low speed version, but when they showed up today they were the med. speed version. lol. it's amazing the supurises life throws at ya!

I might pick up the yate loons just because 3 for $10 shipped is a great deal

I'm new to watercooling and I thought I would throw a question of mine in this thread isntead of making another bip vs bix thread.

BIX = high cfm
BIP = lower cfm

What about using fans in a push/pull config. I have the room to do a push/pull setup and I would like to use ~60 cfm fans. Would the BIX be better in this case or should I stick with a BIP?

hmm... I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the BIX when I saw that performance pcs is selling the black ice gt360....

something like that. it says the performance is equal with lower cfm fans

thorilan said:
just get one of these and make a nice shroud=)

B00018MSO2.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

lol. well what would give me the best performance for the money? I think the profile of the BIP or BIPGT would be easiest to work with

well I was looking at tripple rads, but that is a good price.

anyway, I think that I have narrowed my options down to the BIX or BIPGT is the GT worth the extra 10-15 over the BIX? (keep in mind the GT is new, while the BIX is used)

so wjhat realistic temp differencesm would u guys expecrt to see say using 2x 120mm ambers on a BIX, and the smae fans on a BIP?
i kinda made the mistake of buying the extreme cos tjhe price was just stupidly low... should i hang my head in shame and regret for not knowinf abotu the ~80CFM cut off?

the bix will perform just fine but you will need stronger fans to get that performance.You will need about 80cfm fans, differance between the bix and bip might be 1c with the same fans. less than 80cfm and your temps will rise with a bix.

Last edited:
jivetrky said:
Eh...I think those panaflos will handle the RAD just fine....like Learning curve said...the difference won't really be major enough to worry about.

cool
i can get 3x Panaflo M1's for £20, and i ahve a very good fan controler, so that should be awsome, and quite quiet id imagine at lower volts

interesting thread

R B Customs said:
so wjhat realistic temp differencesm would u guys expecrt to see say using 2x 120mm ambers on a BIX, and the smae fans on a BIP?
i kinda made the mistake of buying the extreme cos tjhe price was just stupidly low... should i hang my head in shame and regret for not knowinf abotu the ~80CFM cut off?
no .

its not such a large diference that your system will suffer. you can still use low cfm fans with that just that you will have more resistance to the air traveling through the rad meaning a slight reduction. if you saved money buying the bix then you still came out with at the least a fair deal

Back