• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these temps too warm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

I just got this system put back together.

it WAS a D5 pump, 1/2" tubing, Apogee block, and BIPII RAD with ~60CFM SilenX fans...with no shroud
And that was on a 4400+ at 2.6Ghz 1.55v

And my temps at idle were always ambient (usually around 22-24) and load temps were hardly ever above 30-32

Now I've switched things around a bit and am using an Opteron 165 at 3.0Ghz cpuZ says 1.568v (have it set to 1.4v*114%
The fans are Scythe S-flex's rated for 63CFM and I made a shroud that stands them off about 2 inches from the RAD.
Now my temps are idling @ 28-30 and load 38-40

Could the big difference be from a bad mount? I did something different this time from what I did previously. Before I would spread out the AS5 all over the heatspreader (as thin as possible using a plastic baggie)
This time I did it the way Arctis silver recomends on their website (put a BB sized dab in the center of the Heatspreader and then put the block on to squeeze it out)

should I try a remount?

yea i would try a remout and do it your old way (i do it the same way but with a credit card instead of the baggie...)

Trying a re-mount probably isnt a bad idea, but I've never personally seen a difference in temps when using the spread method vs the rice grain method when applying my AS5.

While a jump of ~10C is pretty big from the 4400+ to the Opty, I think your temps might be fine. My 165 @ 3.0ghz w/ 1.525(bios) loads up to 38-42C as well and even have my IHS removed. I think as long as you arnt having stability problems your temps might be fine. A jump from 2.6ghz on your 4400+ to 3.0ghz could potentially account for the temp jump. Also, every Opty seems to read temps differently. The internal temp diode just has a certain amount of variability in its readings from one proc to the next, and that could account for the temp difference you are seeing too.

oh yeah...I didn't think about the different temp diode.

well even at stock volts and speeds the opty was reporting these temps (they really didn't climb, even with the increased speed and juice!)

Maybe I'll just try a remount...if nothing else I can see for myself how well the stuff actually spreads out when doing it the rice grain way.

Back