• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Machine Check Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seinken

To start off this post I want to say I read the bluescreen errors on stickys and it says you have overstepped your overclock by leaps and bounds.

I understand that, and I think i fried something... however I need some help in narrowing it down.

Keep in mind I don't have anyone else here that can trade parts w/ me as I live near a place I like to call Hicktown (Branson =P)

Now the symptoms: The BIOS can load up just fine no hiccups or anything, everything after that is ok up until the OS initialization.

When the OS loads up the Windows XP theme bar rolls around normally and then the Welcome screen comes up. It starts playing the intro theme and then screetches to a halt for about 5 seconds. Then it continues normally for 5 more seconds and this process repeats itself until the desktop beings to appear and then it completely blacks out and pops up a machine check exception.

I need help in figuring out what/if I fried anything or if it might just be a bugged Windows install. I do have my processor overvolted but only by .1v (130 nm process.) and temps were ALWAYS lower than 40.

So, has anyone experienced this sort of problem before?

Is there any more info about the error that you can post? This sounds kind of like when I tried to force an installation of a video card that I knew was not supposed to be accepted by my Mobo and BIOS.

Umm, everything was running stable for a good 2 years before this happened?

I ruled out RAM, HD, cd drives, psu, and I'm left with video card/processor... I was hoping it'd be the ram because my g.skills require 3-5-5-10 2t to run stable at 250 mhz but yeah...

I can check at home what the error codes are but i'm pretty sure it was 0x039 or something of the sort.

Yeah, I understand that ... but I've tried running at stock, and even at underclocked speeds and i'm getting the same error.

I've come to the conclusion that I've gone and fried my processor =(

Afer setting the multi from 10x to 5x, and running my CPU at half it's rated speed I'm able to boot into windows, all is STILL not well.

Comp freezes for 2-3 seconds at random intervals and everything is generally REALLY slow... I'm on it right now.

The voltages are reading straight and everything powerwise seems to check out just fine.

The processor is still under warranty through AMD... should i give them a call?

Get a Knoppix CD and run it, Run prim95 or F@H or another stresstest. Run memtest86, they have a premade ISO at memtest86.com

Can't even get it up to the point where i'd run P95 or memtest, it can't boot from a CD.

As I said I can get into windows. It seems to have magically un-partitioned 40 gigs of memory so I guess I lost that data, oh well.

The problem seems to be based on the memory controller, the processor can't allocate memory (well it can, but VERRRRRRRRRRRY slowly.)

I'll see if I can RMA with AMD, if not I'll just bomb 130$ on a venice 3200 or something.

Back