• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

User Folder on XP not showing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wheels

Hi all,

Just found these forums, they're great!

Now to my issue:
I have a Mac (10.4.6) and a Windows XP computer networked together via a router. After reinstalling windows, I can't access my local user folder on the windows machine from my mac (C:/Documents and settings/myusername).

Other folders show up and sharing for that folder is enabled and I have read/write access. I can actually open the folder but it is blank and no files show up. Both are on the same subnet and connected to the same workgroup.

Please help me if you can.

Thank you very much in advance:)

Know Nuttin said:
what if you go in with the administrative share?

\\$computername\C$

?

:welcome: to the forums.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to connect to it using the admin share but it wouldn't connect to it. I don't think I entered the correct syntax however. In "Connect To Server", I typed "\\$toshiba\C$" but it couldn't connect. I think I need to enter the "smb://" part but I'm not sure. (Toshiba being the name of my computer btw)

Any ideas?

Wheels said:
I don't think I entered the correct syntax however. In "Connect To Server", I typed "\\$toshiba\C$" but it couldn't connect. I think I need to enter the "smb://" part but I'm not sure. (Toshiba being the name of my computer btw)

Any ideas?
Information provided above by Know Nuttin is incorrect:
A "$" should not preceed a computer name (but may be part of a computer name).
There is more than one administrative share on NT based systems by default.​

What you may try:
\\computername\driveletter$​

I am not sure how well a Mac OS works with Windows networking.

The problem may be a firewall blocking access, you are attempting to use an account with insufficient privileges to access the share, limitblankpassworduse is set to "1" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa, etc.

Last edited:
My mistake, I put $computername to show that it is a variable, not to include the $ for the computername.

And there is no assumption that a C:\ exists, the original post includes the path which shows a C:\.

Know Nuttin said:
And there is no assumption that a C:\ exists, the original post includes the path which shows a C:\.
I missed that. Fixed above post.

Back