• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Programs Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

Ok heres the question, I have multiple HD's, I install XPpro on C.
I Install ALL Driver's on C aswell

I Install All other Programs on E:\ Nero, Firefox, Sandra, Prime95......etc...etc...

So Say I format C: reinstall XPProSP2 Some of my Programs like say Prime95 will still run just fine while others like say Nero WILL NOT RUN anymore........

How can I fix or avoid this ??? I want to be able to format OS & Drivers only while NOT haveing to re_install hundreds of programs each time I need to Format C: Is there a way ? A work around or ........??? some secret I dont know smile_151.gif

Nero (and programs like it) install DLLs or drivers into c:\windows. So when you reinstall, those dlls or drivers or COM objects are missing and the application won't run. Many applications are like this when they reach a certain complexity. There is no workaround. It's the broken design of windows which prevents a solution

klingens said:
Nero (and programs like it) install DLLs or drivers into c:\windows. So when you reinstall, those dlls or drivers or COM objects are missing and the application won't run. Many applications are like this when they reach a certain complexity. There is no workaround. It's the broken design of windows which prevents a solution

Thats what I thought.

So the only real way around this is to set up everything on ONE drive & Ghost it too dvd's or something?

You could set up an unattended install for example. unattended.msfn.org. Doesn't matter if you have 2 partitions or 1. THe downside is, if you could use the already installed apps, they'd be the current versions. With ghost or unattended it's the versions from a year ago or whenever you made the CD.

Back