• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W/C'd 7900 GTX much cooler than 7800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoreGooder

Here's a quick post to report my temps on my latest GPU. It's an EVGA superclocked 7900 GTX 512MB. Previous card was a 7800GT that I had overclocked to 499 GHZ. This new one is factory oc'd to 680 GHZ.

I had the new card in my rig using the heatpipe cooler that shipped with it from EVGA for just over a week. It would overheat resulting in graphical glitches, mostly weird straight lines running diagonally from the corner of a building in a game or other oddities like that. The GPU would go all the way up to 58°C. Sometimes the game would lock up completely.

I now have my GPU and CPU in the same loop: Res - Chevette HC - MAG 3 pump - Apogee (CPU cooler) - MCW55 - (GPU) - back to res.

While playing BF2 at 1400 X 1050 all settings maxed out, the CPU reports a max temp of 41C and the GPU peaks out at 40C. Graphical glitches are gone, and the game is completely stable. AS5 has not even had a chance to settle in yet, so I expect lower temps on my GPU in the coming days.

In contrast, my 7800GT overclocked to 499 GHZ must have been contributing considerably more heat. Max temp would often climb up to 46C on my loop. Nothing about the loop has changed at all. In fact, I didn't need to even touch my Apogee to install the new card.

Two observations:

7800GT manually overclocked ran hotter than my new 7900GTX factory "superclocked".

My Chevette heater core continues to do an excellent and near-silent job of cooling an overclocked dual core AMD Opteron and a highly overclocked GPU.

Last edited:
MoreGooder said:
7800GT manually overclocked ran hotter than my new 7900GTX factory "superclocked".

You can probably attribute the difference in heat output to the 90nm process used on the 7900 chips.

No, 690 is not impossible. EVGA's superclocked 7900GTX is set to 680 stock.

In fact, I'm running 699 GHZ now. Just finished testing with rtdribl and it runs flawlessly @ 699/900 (900 being 1800 actual). Never gets hotter than 40C on the GPU. No artifacts.

Waterooling this GPU has made a HUGE improvement in stability. I can game at these settings and never have glitch or a crash in BF2.

joking aside, he means mhz, not ghz.

Really, 58 degrees C isn't a big deal for a GPU, they are rated to run much hotter then CPUs, many run in the 70 to 80 range often stock with the cheap heatsinks they come with.

LOL, yeah, MHZ.... not GHZ. Geez....

Well, perhaps 58C isn't considered a big deal, but I can tell you with 100% honesty that my GPU is now completely stable whereas before I was having glitches every single day during BF2 sessions.

Of course, the problem may have been poor memory cooling instead. I suppose I'll never really know. I now use the swiftech BGA copper coolers that I stuck on with thermal tape. THere's a fan blowing up from the bottom of the case onto the card to keep them cool.

I've heard that memory cooling is far less important for gfx cards, so I'd say the improvements I've noted are from improved GPU cooling.

agreed. You really don't need to take the ram that much above stock as it's not usually the bottleneck in video cards (aside from not having enough), the GPU is. I'll be watercooling my GPU as well.

Back