• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro or BIOS Configuration Issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Route44

Not sure if this is a software or BIOS issue, so I took a chance here...

Last August I reformatted my harddrive on my Pentium 3 rig and reinstalled XP Pro. Prior to this reformat when the PC was instructed to shutoff Windows would automatically turn it off without me having to do anything.

But my friend who helped with the reformatting and fresh installation didn't configure either the BIOS or Windows to automatically shut it down. Now when I exit Windows it shuts down but only so far. A window appears saying that it is now safe to turn off my computer and I have to manually turn off the computer.

The problem is I don't always hit the button quite rigth and the computer starts right back up again. My question is, what and where do I configure this so that my PC shuts off on itself without me having to manually press a button? Thanks.

You need to install windows for a ACPI uniprocessor machine. Set your BIOS to use ACPI and reinstall windows

Back